Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil fired boiler...replace or repair

Options
deerisle422
deerisle422 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2019 in Oil Heating
I have an oil fired hot water boiler installed at my vacation home in Maine....I sent the area plumber over to do a cleaning and he said the unit needs to be replaced.....his estimate is over $ included in that is $ in misc parts needed to install unit...the new unit is only $....the difference is labor and new oil tank which he initially said was fine for now.....the chimney is in good shape.....just curious what could possibly cost over $ in misc parts.....I asked him and he said it was only an estimate......how can I be sure unit really needs to be replaced or if it is only in need of repair

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Well... first off, can you edit your post to eliminate the prices? We don't quote prices here on the Wall, as they vary so much from place to place and it would be unfair.

That said... you need to be told why, exactly, he thinks it needs to be replaced. He could be right. He could be wrong. But he needs to be able to specify why he thinks it needs to go -- and then leave it to you to figure out is he right for your situation? Also, I would try to get a couple of other people in to assess it.

Anything that you know of that's amiss?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,965
    Options
    Please do not post pricing here. It is against sight rules.
    Prices differ from area to area around the country.
    The best thing to do is get a few more quotes as to what is needed .
    If you have a good relationship with the "area plumber" and have used him before. That type of relationship is hard to find but easy to cultivate.
    Ask him why he is pricing his services and installation for your new system. It may just make all the sense and value you need.

I know......Sticker shock is always a shock.
    Erin Holohan Haskell