Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for power to open and close zone valves Series 20 Wiring - Boiler System

Options
slg04012
slg04012 Member Posts: 17
Looking for a thermostat compatible with a power to open and close zone valves (Series 20) boiler system that I can buy in a store immediately.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Honeywell T6 Pro.
    Now hurry. Go go go!
  • slg04012
    Options
    @HVACNUT Can't find that in a store :(
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    slg04012 said:

@HVACNUT Can't find that in a store :(

Not likely to, either. It's a professional model.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The Supply House has something. Focus-Pro series.

I know the old tstats are gone but FWIW, I am looking at a T87F 2873 here.
    It has 3 wire connections going into the Hg bulb.
    SPDT switch. Typically for me that is heating on one set of contacts and AC the other. Would this have run the Series 20 system? I have seldom dealt with one.
  • slg04012
    Options
    @HVACNUT what about a T4? I might be able to get that in a store today.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

The Supply House has something. Focus-Pro series.

I know the old tstats are gone but FWIW, I am looking at a T87F 2873 here.
    It has 3 wire connections going into the Hg bulb.
    SPDT switch. Typically for me that is heating on one set of contacts and AC the other. Would this have run the Series 20 system? I have seldom dealt with one.

That may be the one the OP chucked.... yes it would have. Kind of a rare bird, even back in the day.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sorry I have no idea what the big box stores offer. Why the emergency? www.supplyhouse.com
  • slg04012
    Options
    @HVACNUT no worries. Temp is gonna drop tonight where I live into the high 30s. We can turn the heat on, can't turn it off, don't want to overheat the system.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    You may overheat the house but the system should shut down on high limit. How about just warming the house up and then shutting the power switch off
  • slg04012
    Options
    Thanks for the great discussion. Found this LUX TX9600TS that is compatible, so will be trying that out tonight
  • slg04012
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. This conversation really helped me to figure things out. Was able to go to Lowe’s and find an affordable LUX TX500Uc 5/2 Day universal thermostat, compatible with a hot water heating 3 wire zone valve. Installed two (one for each zone) and they function perfectly! Each unit was reasonably priced. It turns out my white wire was common (terminal Rh), red wire was open (terminal W1) and green wire was close (terminal A).

In case this helps anyone else in the future, 5 terminal on my zone valve connected to terminal Rh on this t-stat, terminal 6 on my zone valve connected to the A terminal on this t-stat, and terminal 4 on my zone valve connected to terminal W1 on this t-stat.