Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

300,000 union steam

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,420
edited October 2019 in Strictly Steam

Over the weekend I brought a steam boiler down the basement of a customer, it was over 800 pounds. I just put the burner and gas valve in today.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,996
    Brought down in sections I hope LOL
  • Snowmelt
    Came disassembled, this is the biggest one I did, I’m going to use the three inch drop header. Wish me luck.
  • Snowmelt
    This is 800 plus pounds
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I ordered a Burnham IN-12 (815 lb shipping weight) in sections last winter, emergency replacement, wholesaler screwed up came as an assembled block. Me and 3 people, a truck with a winch, an appliance dolly two engine jacks, lots of straps and rope, and 4 hours later we had it down the stairs and on the base.

0/10 would not recommend. Would have sent it back if it wasn't 1 week+ to get one in sections. 12 unit apartment complex, 30 degree weather, had to get it in ASAP.

@Snowmelt looking good so far! Have fun!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    A 3" header seems on the smaller size for that boiler, no?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2019
    I agree with @ChrisJ. I would do the math on that velocity @Snowmelt...which i just did and 3” actually works on paper (assuming you’re using both 3” risers), but I would upsize it to 4 if possible.
  • Snowmelt
    The previous piping was done with 2 inch, 3 inch will have to be..... that’s there budget..
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,233
    Yeah, Peerless even uses a single 3 inch riser on header for 345,000 input 64 series. Smith uses only 1 3 inch riser and header up to 587,000 input on the 19HE. The header is doing the work of separation, not the reduced velocity in the risers.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    When I install an EG 55-75 it gets a 4” header. GSA300,000 is an EG75.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro) Even if your two risers are 4’ long?
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,233
    Either the velocity is low enough or not. A single 3 inch riser can allow water to fall back up to around 200,000 input. The taller risers probably help let the foam break down so it doesn't spill into the header, which I'm sure helps, but after the foam breaks up, I believe it is strictly velocity after that.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Snowmelt
    Dave, I saw the drop header in birdsall, I’m pretty much going to copy it, but again, budget stopped me from using four inch, on the pig tail, on a display of the boiler right next to the one you did I seen some sort of drop piping for the pressure trol and guages
    What do you guys think of this.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I do the drop pigtail on units that have several devices to protect.
    However, I raise every thing up with 1/4" brass or SS nipples to get it above the water in the drop pigtails.
    Also use tee's with plugs or crosses for cleanouts. If the 1/2" piping stays clean then most likely the longer 1/4" risers are clean also.
  • Snowmelt
    That does look sweet I’m going to try that on this boiler.