Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concrete cover over tubing.

I can't seem to find any design guide with a reference to the minimum thickness of concrete over the tubing to prevent cracking. Is it one inch?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I have 3/4" of wetbed over the tubing with the roll on membrane then tile.
    10 years, no cracks (knocking on A LOT of wood)...
    For some reason 1" sticks in my head though.
    steve
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesAlan Welch
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    The Concrete Association suggested 1-1/2 times the aggregate size, at a RPA event years ago

Most concrete mixes with 3/4” stone. For thin pours 1/4” pea gravel is best, but it is a weaker mix. Add a lot of fiber to thin pours😲
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes If you are going to pour a 1.5 inch slab, over 1/2 pex, use small agregate, add fiber, ( I like the soft fibers they blend into the slab) specify a super plasticizer to reduce water content, water is the enemy when placing, make the mix as stiff as you can manage, I use a tamper with a mark on the handle, for the lazer for leveling. Add fly ash 10 to 15% of portland, but do not reduce the portland amount, makes the mud more creamy and quite a bit stronger. if slab is bigger than 10' in any direction cast in a metal strip for a control joint. Keep the slab wet/damp for 30 days if possible, do not start warming the slab for 30 days, this will minimize edge curl, nice if you can slowly increase the SWT by a degree per day, again to reduce cracking and edge curl. If the slab is going to be tiled, use something like Red Guard and scrim in a 6" wide strip over the control joints, so that the slab can move a little without damaging the tile. Watch the cement crew like a hawk, because the things they usually do are not what we need, but a good finisher is a godsend.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes