Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Baltimore, MD School Boiler Room Explosion

Never stop learning.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,951Member
    Sounds like delayed ignition to me. Unless one of the "outside contractors" did something .....like with a torch. Does not say if the boilers were operating...think they must have been if the stack went down
  • Mike_SheppardMike_Sheppard Posts: 574Member
    edited September 18
    @EBEBRATT-Ed from what I’ve heard the contractor was in the middle of performing a start-up on a new burner on a watertube boiler. Not confirmed though.

Contractor is a competitor of the last company I worked at, and is the company I took all the work from when I moved to my current company. (Current Company subcontracted their boiler work to the company responsible for this explosion).
    Never stop learning.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,951Member
    edited September 19
    @Mike_Sheppard , me thinks someone wasn't paying attention. Lucky no ne was seriously hurt. You can't take anything for granted in this business.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Posts: 62Member
    I sure would like to see pictures of the boiler, burner and the boiler room. Most likely a gas, propane or fuel oil explosion. A catastrophic pressure vessel explosion would have caused much more damage to the building.
  • Mike_SheppardMike_Sheppard Posts: 574Member
    @retiredguy me too.
    Never stop learning.