Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

connect on demand water heater to an indirect tank?

jrv8984jrv8984 Posts: 41Member
edited September 9 in Domestic Hot Water
Is it possible, advisable. I would prefer to use my 70 gallon indirect tank year round instead of having a tank for the summer and using the coal fired indirect for the winter? So if I could just hook up an on demand to my indirect tank it would make things simpler.

Comments

• JohnNYJohnNY Posts: 2,289Member
    I've done it. You don't have to go through the indirect tank's heat exchanger/coil. Just connect the gas-fired tankless water heater to the domestic side of the indirect as if it were a domestic hot water source and a storage tank, which is exactly what it is.
    For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F Mechanical, LLC"
    Or email John at [email protected]
    John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
  • JohnNYJohnNY Posts: 2,289Member
    You'll need changeover valves and someone to run the tankless heater through a cycle or two once a month or when it's not in constant use. This is how we address hot water in buildings where they want to take advantage of "waste heat" left in the boiler in winter and run a smaller appliance in warmer months.
    For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F Mechanical, LLC"
    Or email John at [email protected]
    John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
  • jrv8984jrv8984 Posts: 41Member
    edited September 9
    How would I size the on demand unit to feed the 70 gallon indirect tank?
    It would only be used 4-5 months a year over the summer, otherwise it would be turned off.
  • jrv8984jrv8984 Posts: 41Member
    anybody?