Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Threaded fittings issue

ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 9,877Member
edited June 1 in THE MAIN WALL
I want some thoughts on this from the experts.

I've gotten pretty good at working with threaded fittings as long as they're metal and decent threads.

But I'm having issues with plastic npt fittings on our pool for the hoses.

They're cheap and even have seams and I just can't get them to seal yet just using blue monster tape. They also almost bottom out by hand..... They pretty much suck imo.

I'm stuck between trying more tape ... Tape + megaloc and just going to rtv.

My fear is cracking something at this point and I don't know if rtv will come apart?

Thoughts? In using hoses at least for now so decent PVC fittings are out for the time being.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Posts: 2,465Member
    I use teflon dope on top of teflon high density tape. Tighten just beyond hand tight. No problems.
    Steve Minnich
    Tell me I can't, and I'll show you I can.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,778Member
    I have had the female adaptors crack sometimes and a major PITA. If ascetics are not that important, I have put a SS hose clamp on the FPT portion for reinforcement.
  • KC_JonesKC_Jones Posts: 4,128Member
    @ChrisJ they make a special sealant/dope for PVC threaded fittings. We had issues for years at work, once we switched it all went away.

https://www.spearsmfg.com/prod_brochures/BLU-2-0200_1010.pdf
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202744301871904.1073741828.1330391881&type=1&l=c34ad6ee78
  • EzzyTEzzyT Posts: 833Member
    They make pvc fittings with stainless reinforcing around the hub of the glue solvent part of the fitting.
    Creative Solutions Plumbing & Heating LLC
    Lic #12683
    Co-Owners: Fred Drescher, Jr & Eliezer "Ezzy" Travis
    Marketing & Operations: Dawn Drescher
    Follow us on Facebook.
    Check us out on Instagram: creative_solutions519
  • hot_rodhot_rod Posts: 11,665Member
    I agree with KC. use a thread sealant specifically for PVC threads. You should not need teflon tape either.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 9,877Member
    These aren't PVC they're some other cheap feeling plastic

Tape + dope seems to have worked.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • MikeL_2MikeL_2 Posts: 185Member
    I agree with a stainless steel clamp to reinforce plastic female adapters. We use ball or string wicking tightly wound clockwise on to plastic male threads before wrapping with several layers of quality teflon tape; it works every time......
  • clammyclammy Posts: 2,256Member
    Almost all the pool guysi know use sch 80 fitting and adapters ,especially on male adapters and as for tee they usually use a full size tee and glue in female fitting adp the fitting tends to not split that way .as for loose threads a few wraps w tape and a dab of some pipe dope and it’s usually good .if this is for a small seasonally pool I would look to a pool supply those smaller pool skimmers and such are usually a smaller dimension then heavy residential or commercial pool heater filtration piping .peace and goog luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Intplm.Intplm. Posts: 777Member
    @ChrisJ I have used regular teflon tape with and without the pipe dope combination. Try either way that works for you.
    Six wraps around with the regular teflon tape. Tighten as much as you can by hand then use water pump pliers to snug it up. Have installed thousands of joints with little problem.
    Good luck