Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflow w/ 2 parallel elements connected?

wcs5050
wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
Am I correct in saying that unless there is a valve/restriction on emitter #1, no flow will occur through emitter #2 under normal open pipe conditions due to pressure drop at #1.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Not quite. If it is piped more or less as drawn, there will be much less flow through no. 2 than no. 1 -- but there will be some. The flow will split so that the head loss due to flow will be equal in the two paths.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • wcs5050
    If distance between the two emitters is not equal, do we assume fractional flow in proportion to distance, or still split equally.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I’d say more equally. The difference would be marginal.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    wcs5050 said:

If distance between the two emitters is not equal, do we assume fractional flow in proportion to distance, or still split equally.

It depends on head loss, not distance directly. Head loss is a non-linear function of flow velocity, and thus of pipe sizes and type, as well as all the fittings -- including the size of the emitters. To take a ridiculous example, suppose those connecting pipes were 4 inch copper, and the emitters were half inch -- the flows would be within a whisker of being equal. Then suppose the other way around -- emitter number 2 would get much less.

You can't eyeball it. You have to figure it out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Are both tees of the diverter design?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    If you only have one diverter tee setup and you want two emitters, the best way is reverse return the two emitters.

But with those short distances it may not be necessary. I'd do it reverse return, then you are guaranteed equal flow.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • wcs5050
    Each tee on main run is monoflow/diversion type, correctly oriented upstream and downstream as required.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If there is lack of flow for these, perhaps the simplest thing would be to install a metering valve between the tees.
    Adjust the flow as needed.
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Just pipe them in reverse return. Simple and quick and...it works.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    Erin Holohan Haskell