Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installation of a new heating boiler should I use existing piping, transformers and zone values

I have a 27 year old Weil Mclean boiler that needs to be replaced. Should I have the installer cut the pipes after(would keep the existing zone valves) or after the zone values(keep existing 6 zone valves). Also should they replace the 3 transformers or use the originals?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    It depends. I would replace the valve bodies as you don't know what shape they are in if they are original. Also, the newer zone valves have some nice features, including outdoor reset on one brand.
    Transformers are fine if still working, unless you want to switch to a zone panel. Transformers are easy to replace. Why do you have 3?
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Would you replace the engine only in a 27 year old car?
    You'll be better off in the long run to replace everything. Have it done right and be covered.
    You could post some pics so we can help to see what your options are and hopefully steer you on the right path.
  • geoffreymerrill
    geoffreymerrill Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help. I have 3 because of the number of zones that I have. All will have it all replaced. Not sure whether I should put in a buderas boiler or a system 2000 energy kinetics. Any thoughts?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You said you have 6 zone valves and 3 transformers...
    You should first do a heat loss and see what size boiler you need so you don't oversize.
    With 6 zones you're probably better off with the EK.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited May 2019
    Start from scratch.
    Which model WM is there now?
    You mention the System 2000 so we're to assume its oil fired, or the Frontier with a gas burner.
    BTW- All oil EK-1 Frontier boilers will ship with the Carlin EZ-1 burner starting this spring, dropping Beckett as standard. Not sure if Beckett, like Riello, is an option. @Roger ?
    A heat loss should be done but more often than not, with oil you'll be in the EK-1 Frontier or Buderus G115-3 range.
    Slant/Fin offers a free app for doing heat loss calculations.
    Again, we dont know your specific application but 6 zones (with or without an indirect water heater?) might be micro zoning which the EK will handle much better than a conventional boiler and controls, even in the case of the R2107 option on the Buderus.
    6 zones plus the water heater will warrant a larger Energy Manager on the EK.
    So start from scratch.
    What are your needs?
    What are your wants?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    You still haven't explained why you need 3 transformers. You do need enough power from a transformer, granted, but 3 strikes me as overkill -- as well as inviting wiring errors.

In addition to starting from scratch on the piping, I highly recommend starting from scratch on the controls and wiring.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England