Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1st company orifice

SeanBeans
SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
edited May 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
So I am assigned to install a condenser made by first company.

Was told to not use a TXV.. I pop open the installation manual and it says that the unit should be paired with an evap coil that’s fitted with a thermostatic expansion valve. As a result, subcooling is the process in which you charge the system.

Does this mean that it MUST be used with a TXV? Can an orifice be used?

first co’s tech support is closed for the weekend.

Attached is a photo of the install manual regarding charging the unit

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Most 410A units use expansion valve instead of orafices . Why not use an expansion valve? It's a better job and controls better.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    It's my understanding that charging a piston/orifice is rather generic, given return wet bulb & outdoor temps all the different mfgr's tables pretty much agree with each other. I have in my truck a slide calculator with 22 on one side & 410 on the other, my Fieldpiece digital will give a live superheat number with the right wireless instruments attached.

Agree with @EBEBRATT-Ed, why aren't you to use the recommended TXV?

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The top reads 'Expansion valves and orifices must be calibrated and sized for use with R410a'. To me that says using the correct R410a orifice would be fine. Do you know the model evap? Some manufacturers offer swap out kits to convert to TXV.

Now the bottom states the WCX12 should have a TXV designed and calibrated for use with R410a. And subcooling is the charge method.
    Is your condenser a WCX12? If yes, it looks like it requires a TXV. If its not, 1st. Co. says an orifice is ok.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I always think of an orifice as kind of cheap! Orifice or cap tube systems (same thing really) are OK for relatively fixed temp systems like reach in coolers or household appliances where the condenser and evap are in a controlled environment and quite predictable. On a comfort cooling systems there are much more variables with condenser (outdoor) temps, and evap loading. A TXV is better at keeping superheat flat and efficiencies up.

We don't see heat pumps with orifices do we?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    It’s a WCX12
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @SeanBeans said:
    > It’s a WCX12

Then the paperwork says it requires a TXV. A kit might be offered. Cased coil? 🤞