Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Grounding

Why do I never see a hot water or steam system grounded? Surely, a hot wire in a wall can work loose and electrify a pipe and endanger the occupants?
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Click here to learn more about this contractor.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,617Member
    The hot water or steam system (warm air too) is considered grounded by the circuit feeding the boiler or furnace. This may be a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit in most cases. The ground can consist of a green or bare equipment ground run with the circuit conductors. Or the ground can be through the emt, ridged conduit, or other metal raceway correctly installed. In many cases with older systems even if the burner is grounded by the electrical circuit the boiler may not be (older floor mounted burners)

Although the National Electric Code does not consider this as a ground most boilers are connected to a water pipe usually metal which is grounded at the electric service. The code requires the gas piping to be grounded but this is subject to local inturpratation

The general rule is anything metal is supposed to be grounded if it is fixed in place older systems may not have caught up yet.

There are cases where stainless steel sinks feed by plastic pipes and inspectors have made the electrician ground the sinks. Believe it or not "swimming pool" water has to be grounded
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 9,626Member
    I agree with @EBEBRATT-Ed

But, what does amaze me is aluminum siding isn't required to be grounded.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,617Member
    @ChrisJ
    I have herd (never done it) that aluminum siding is supposed to have jumper put on around the corners of the house.

Another case of "accidental grounding" I guess. Light fixtures attached to it, outside outlets, meter socket??