Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Installation Details

Options
mikeg2015
mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
edited May 2019 in Strictly Steam
Working on my first steam boiler install. Trying to avoid any issues, and I have some steamfitter questions.

1) Drop header - EDIT... is there a minimum drop desired, or just a 4-6” pipe nipple adequate? I figured out a solution. I can angle the main downward so it can be rotated and aligned over the drop header.

2) I’m re-doing the end of the main to remove a “custom” welded eccentric reducer and bring the return inline with the supply. Question: Any reason you can’t use 1-1/4” or 1-1/2” for the vent header to maximize it. Or make it a “U” shape and connect both ends of a 1” or 1-1/2” pipe? Or is that just a complete waste? Is a single 1” vent plenty with 2-3 big mouths a Gorton 2?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Drop headers are optional. Just follow the boiler mfg. requirements as a minimum. Yes, any drop is ok if you decide to do a drop

Upsizing the vent connection and with the proper location will reduce the velocity of the steam/water in the main and keep water out of the vent
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    In hte end, it’s just 2 more elbows and a couple nipples and it will allow the header ot stay pitched towards the equalizer and better relieve pipe strain.

Thanks for the feedback. I just hadn’t read or seen anyone using 1-1/2” or even 2” vent connections. Seems like it would really drop the velocity. I’ll give it a try. Can always bush it back down later.