Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

when to skim new boiler?

Spunky424Spunky424 Posts: 73Member
just converted from oil to gas with a new boiler and hw heater. extremely happy about how quiet it is! wondering when is the best time to skim the boiler. i'm in NY and heating season is almost over. please advise on when the best time to skim the boiler would be. TIA.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTORSTEAM DOCTOR Posts: 886Member
    Anytime would be good.
  • FredFred Posts: 7,863Member
    If it can run a few cycles, you will wash any oils in new piping back into the boiler. I would run it a week or two, then skim. It is going to take a few skims to get all the oils out so anticipate having to do a skim a couple or three times next heating season as well.
  • STEAM DOCTORSTEAM DOCTOR Posts: 886Member
    Agreed. Boiler needs to run for week or two.
  • Spunky424Spunky424 Posts: 73Member
    appreciate all the quick replies. thanks so much! gives me time to install a valve on the skimming port.
    So just skimmed the boiler for almost an hour and a half. I fired her up and got the water nice and hot before it started to steam. Then began skimming. The water was all clear but you could see remnants of oil on top of the water. How often and how long should skimming take?
  • FredFred Posts: 7,863Member
    Skimming has to be very slow, a trickle no larger in diameter than a pencil. Slower if possible. It may take a couple hours each skim and you may have to skim three or more times, at one or two week intervals (when the boiler is running often (during the heating season) to get all the oils out. It's the steam that washes the oil out of any new piping.
  • BobCBobC Posts: 4,962Member
    It took 5 skim sessions to get my boiler clean 6 years ago. The key is nice slow skimming so oils just float out of the skim port. I had the feed rate set so it took 90 minutes to fill a 5gal bucket.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    BobC said:

It took 5 skim sessions to get my boiler clean 6 years ago. The key is nice slow skimming so oils just float out of the skim port. I had the feed rate set so it took 90 minutes to fill a 5gal bucket.

Bob

thanks for the reply. yea seeing as how the heating season is about to end. i'm going to skim probably one more time and then revisit this at the beginning of the next season.