Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Separator

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
edited May 2019 in Strictly Steam
Steam travels from boiler to separator through pipe on bottom,left of separator. Steam makes right turn and moves toward pipe on right side. Condensate drops out through pipe on bottom right into return. Steam makes u-turn and enters system through pipe on top left of separator.

Comments

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Looks like it could work. Is there a horizontal plate in there? I like that there is no offset in the vertical piping
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Yes. There is a horizontal plate. Removed from 90 yr old boiler
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Reminds me of the old HB Smith boiler with the built in cast iron header. I had worked on them for years before a factory guy told me the cast iron header had a plate inside it to separate the water and the steam.

Should work well
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    Hmmm... your comment @EBEBRATT-Ed , makes me wonder if there is such a plate in the cast iron header ("steam drum") which we saved when we installed Cedric. Whatever, between that and the drop header the steam is pretty dry!

In any event, nothing like a sharp U turn to run the idiots (water drops) off into the weeds (and down that pipe), while the steam merrily drifts around... >:) (been watching too many rallye videos on YouTube!).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    @Jamie Hall
    I never saw the baffle but someone from Smith told me they were in their when the boiler was ordered for steam. We had one job we were having problems with and he asked me if the baffle had fallen down inside the header. "what baffle" I said. That's how I found out. I guess they slide in through the big threaded plug in the end of the header.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    This sure looks like the work of the late, great Frank Gerety.
    Retired and loving it.