Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate pump for 2 radiators in steam system

Options
rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
Hi everyone,

I would like to add two new radiators to an existing steam system. However, due to the room elevations, I would need to install the radiators in the ceiling for the condensate to be able to flow back into the system.

Is there another option such as installing a condensate pump? I did a search for them, but I did not find anything that seemed to fit my needs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Philli

Comments

• rhodebump
    Options
    I know there are plastic condensate pumps but I don't think they would hold up or would they?
    Something like this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-Giant-554401-VCMA-15UL-65-GPH-Automatic-Condensate-Removal-Pump-14719000-p
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I presume, from the comment on the ceiling, that the spaces these radiators are supposed to heat that the spaces are on the same level -- such as the basement -- as the boiler?

If so, have you considered the possibility of running a baseboard loop using the boiler water? If all the baseboards would be below the water level in the boiler, all you would need would be the baseboards, some piping, a small standard hot water heating circulating pump, and a thermostat to control the whole thing. There is often a tap on the boiler (may be rusted!) not far below the water level which would be your supply, and you could hook into the low level returns somewhere...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rhodebump
    Options
    That's a great idea! Thanks! yes, I have a tap for hot water, so I will look into that.