Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam condensation pump

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
I went to a job, I had ezzy go look with me. there is a lack of air vents on the system as a whole. he gave me a few good tips.
for instance the condensation pump does not have an air vent , does anyone have a few pictures of a condensation pump with an air vent?
also I have to make sure its sized correctly.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    If you have a copy of The Lost Art of Steam Heating, start at page 164 -176. That'll get you what you need.
    Steve Minnich
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    The air vent on a condensate pump tank is nothing fancy. Just an air pipe off the top of the receiving tank that's open to atmosphere.

Typical practice is to pipe the air vent up to exceed boiler water level height. This is to prevent water loss in the event of a flooded system.

Air vent pipe opening should be located to prevent damage or injury in the event of steam trap leakage causes discharge of live steam to atmosphere.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Condensate pumps and tanks are not rated for steam pressure. Never seen one installed without a vent. It's just an open pipe coming out of the top
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    It may have had a vent pipe but if traps were passing steam then someone may have "fixed" the steam leaking.

If you pull up the specs for that or any particular condensate pump there will be piping diagrams.
    delta T
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2019
    They have vents to the roof and overflows with P-Trap to floor drain in case pumps stop pumping. P-trap keeps flash off from condensate from exiting tank and entering room.