Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Identify this old hot water boiler

Options
mikeg2015
mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
A friend that’s a home inspector posted this on Facebook. It’s in the Milwaukee area. Looks like a coal boiler converted with a gas burner (probably 50+ years ago). There’s a video he posted too. Burner looks like a round one like off a water heater or a Mobil home style.

What’s cool is it looks like there are 3 cast iron sections bolted together horizontally on top.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Nothing unusual about the boiler. Would like to see the burner though if you have more pictures.

What bothers me is there isn't a control of any type in site. No wiring....nothing

I wouldn't expect a low water cutoff on a boiler that old but it's gotta have a high limit as a minimum
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Thatcher maybe?
  • mikeg2015
    Options
    The inspector said it’s a Capitol.

Let me see if I can save the clip and other pictures. I’m thinking it’s a gravity boiler. I didn’t see a hot of the gas valve. Kind of thinking it might not have any safeties of any kind.
  • mikeg2015
    Options

• mikeg2015
    Options
    I’m seeing some sort of inducer draft burner down at the bottom. The silver pipe going to the bottom could be an older low pressure gas system that was an early 1940’s conversion.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    typical gas conversion burner, bryant was very popular, there were many others, roberts-gordon, gordon come to mind. some can be modernized, others cannot.
    the boiler itself is one thing, the conversion burner is the other. usually wrapped in asbestos. its rare to see a naked one
    the one pictured looks to be loaded with soot