Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swimming Pool Cooling

Options
I have a 1400 gallon hot tub heated to 106F with a boiler and HX. There is also a 1000 gallon "Dip Pool" that need to be maintained to 45F all year round. The dip pool has no heater only a filter system.

I'm looking for some kind of a chiller/heat system to maintain this dip pool 45F all year round.

Yes the pools are covered, outdoors.

Comments

• Andy_d
    Andy_d Member Posts: 10
    Options
    This is located in Whistler British Columbia. Groundwater temperature is about 40F
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I would check into a water-water heat pump. You may need a heat xchanger to deal with the pool chemicals.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Perhaps the noise would be an issue? Any of the air to water HPs would work. It might be cheaper to heat with also?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Andy_d
    Andy_d Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I'm going to check out both systems.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    R410a Water to water geo unit will work if you have low approach heat exchangers. chiller would work. Can make 120-130F hot water to heat the tub and simultaneously make about 35-38F chilled water for the dip pool using heat exchangers on both. A gas fired small mod-con can add heat to the return water off dip pool @ 99% efficiency if the imbalance is in heating. IF the imbanace is cooling load, then you can have a air to water heat exchanger blow heat outdoors. You’d want propylene glycol to be safe on this system.

Will want a storage tank on both sides with loop pumps and chiller pumps.

Keep in mind you dip tank loading will be very dynamic. They don’t have a lot of mass, so you may need that heat exchanger oversized. Have to run numbers. Hot tub is more of a constant steady load so don’t need as much storage nessesarily.

The controls can be simple but may need to play with differentials and temperatures to get it all running efficiently.