Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator repair or replacement

Options
We have a large old house with a two-pipe steam system. There are several different types of radiators throughout. The one below is trickiest - we have 3 we are looking to repair or replace. They are recessed and the opening is about 29 x 26. One is smaller with an opening of 22 x 26. They appear to be made in 3 sections that are bolted together. Any ideas?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    It depends on what repairs are needed. Please be more specific as to what needs to be "repaired".
  • Intplm.
    Options
    @pjgordonma.
    Are the rads leaking?
    Are they not heating?
    Are pipes feeding the rads leaking?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It looks like there are unions at each end that connect the steam supply and return pipes. If the actual convector needs repair, loosen those unions and lift the convector out so you can repair or replace them (if necessary).
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I like the steel convector piggybacking off the cast iron convector :lol:
  • pjgordonma
    pjgordonma Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the questions. it is the cast iron convector which has some sections that leak - one rusted out, another cracked. I dont know if i can replace just a section (maybe construct one good one from 3 broken ones) or if i should just scrap what is there and replace with a whole new unit.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    If the leaks are on the piping, that can most likely be fixed. Rotted away issues as you mention can be a whole different story. That type of problem more often than not usually requires a full replacement.
    Sections on cast iron radiators usually are not successfully replaced. Full replacement would be your best choice for a rotted out leaking radiator.
    Repair the pipes serving the radiators. Do this when you replace the radiators.
    I have tried to fix radiator sections in the past with mixed results.
    I no longer try to fix cast iron rads. The repair always has questionable results.
    ethicalpaulpjgordonma