Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 degree change in thermostat changes room 54 degrees!

rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
Hi,
This is two pipe steam system in an old school. There is a classroom at the end of the steam run that is either cold or hot. If I raise the temperature up a couple degrees on the thermostat, the room hits 104. If I lower it, the room is 54 degrees.

I have had boiler company come multiple times and we can't seem to get things right. Their advice is to raise the temperature on the thermostat where this room is warm enough and shut off any radiators where it's too hot.

Any other thoughts? One other thing I noticed was that water level in the boiler seems to creep up over the week and I have to dump some water from the boiler.

Thanks so much!
Phillip

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    I think it's time to find a different boiler company. Try the blue "Find a Contractor" link above.

In the meantime, post some pics of the boiler piping & the misperforming radiator.

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,787
    Not enough information to be able to understand what is going on.
    How big is the system, number of rooms, number of radiators, size of boiler? Approximates...
    Where is the thermostat in relation to the cold room?
    What kind of thermostat?
    Are there other controls on the system? Pneumatics?
    What temperatures are the rest of the rooms?
    What setting is the thermostat? Up a couple degrees.... from what to what?
    Do all the radiators seem to be working?
    Does the system have radiators? Or, some other kind of equipment, such as convectors, fan coils, univents, etc.?
    Can you take pictures of various parts of the system, boiler, building, etc??
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    What @Dave in QCA said
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,181
    TRV on the rad or wall tstat?
  • rhodebump
    I will get some pictures together and post.
    Intplm.
  • rhodebump
    I did a search for contractors on this site, nothing within 100 miles of Tarentum, PA 15084 (near Pittsburgh, PA)
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It sounds like that radiator is acting like a giant main vent. Is there any hammer, maybe steam getting into the dry return?