Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil contamination causing ignition problems

2»

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > @STEVEusaPA
    >
    > There's a guy on u tube I watch his videos and laugh.
    >
    > He goes on a call with a dirty nozzle strainer and a plugged boiler.
    >
    > he cleans the boiler and never reseals the smoke hood. Bleeds the pump and say's he is getting "good oil flow" changes the nozzle and announces because of the "good oil flow" he doesn't need to check the filter or pump strainer.
    >
    > and no combustion test so much misiformation

Lol! I bust his balls in the comments section about "good oil flow" and measuring pump pressure and vacuum! His refusal to clean a pump strainer drives me nuts!

But it is good comedy, its just sad that he is the example that is set for how HVAC technicians work. I love watching him guess what is wrong and start parts swapping. Then he starts talking to himself saying " it could have been this, it could have been that..." 😂 Sometimes I laugh at him, other times I get angry at his lack of knowledge.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I can't watch. So many hacks.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @SuperTech

Well I guess you know who I am watching!
    Not like he's totally incompetent I am sure there are many far worse than him and he does use an analyzer sometime and then he will say : "gotta fix this I don't want to come back" but then take some nasty short cuts.

Another one I found is "HVACR VIDEOS" he is excellent (least I think so) Mostly refrigeration some AC.

Guess I have too much time on my hands
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    Can't one put a dab of water detection paste on the end of a measuring stick to test for water? Water should separate from the oil in the tank and sink to the bottom.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    About sludgy oil, I used to get oil from Jim Daraty and the filter would clog up twice a season. He blamed it on existing sludge in the tank being stirred up. After switching to Gem Oil the filter doesn't clog up and probably can go two years without replacing. I am convinced Jim delivered sludge with his oil. It was a good price though :-)
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.