Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

I have a Condensing gas fired wall mounted boiler does DHW, radiant floors as well as central heat

The brand is Baxi Luna 1.330 Recently I have noticed the gauge on the front of the unit has been indicating higher pressures. (I not even sure what it measures)
range of the gauge is 0 - 4 bars with the operating range (green area) 1 - 1.5 ish.
Although everything seems to be operating fine the gauge is showing well into the red at 4 +
I am hoping to find the cause of the high reading. Possibly a failed gauge ?
Any advice I can get before calling some on in would be appreciated. I don't want to find the basement full of water :(

Comments

• hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 12,897
    I think that unit has a small expansion tank inside, check to see if has failed
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    SuperTechkcopp
  • ggpartsggparts Member Posts: 3
    To find the small expansion tank what would I look for?
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Member Posts: 12,345
    ggparts said:

Take a look and see how the pressure changes from when the unit is cold -- let it sit off for a couple of hours -- and then as it warms up. Shouldn't change that much -- half a bar, perhaps.

Also... how is water added to the system? If it's through a pressure reducing valve, that valve may be leaking past.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • ggpartsggparts Member Posts: 3

ggparts said:

Take a look and see how the pressure changes from when the unit is cold -- let it sit off for a couple of hours -- and then as it warms up. Shouldn't change that much -- half a bar, perhaps.

Also... how is water added to the system? If it's through a pressure reducing valve, that valve may be leaking past.
    This is the only source of heat for my home, I hesitate to turn it off. Not sure if there is a PRV or not.
  • bennyboybennyboy Member Posts: 7
    I agree... you heat water and it expands thus pressure goes up. Something is preventing the expansion tank from working or the expansion tank isn't working.
  • SuperTechSuperTech Member Posts: 1,209
    Sounds like your expansion tank has failed. Baxi usually has a expansion tank built in to the boiler they can be a pain to service. I would just install one on the boiler supply piping.

Your boiler better have a pressure relief valve that should open up after the boiler pressure exceeds 3 bar. If it doesn't shut it down immediately and call for service because it's extremely unsafe to operate.