Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dropbox

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I have been using Dropbox for a few years now. I like it because you can share all the files related to a job with contractors, engineers, architect and owners.
The other day I started receiving notifications that one of my less than computer savy engineers had altered almost 2,000 job files at 3:00 AM. I reached out to him and he indicated that his computer was misbehaving and he didn't know what to do. After looking more carefully at the files, I noticed that they had been encrypted for ransom by a computer virus.

Here is the happy ending. After a quick online chat with Dropbox tech support, they simply reverted the entire file back to where it was just before the attack. :)

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    TG for that! I am not the most computer savy person so I would be lost. Glad they saved it
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    Whew! That's great, @Zman.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    My website got hacked.
    Lots of scoundrels with keyboards out there.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You are so lucky @Zman ! You need to make sure that Engineer gets his PC cleaned (disc may need to be wiped clean and all software re-installed and that he has a good virus/security tool (set to auto update daily) on his PC before you ever let him have access to any of your files again.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Fred said:

You are so lucky @Zman ! You need to make sure that Engineer gets his PC cleaned (disc may need to be wiped clean and all software re-installed and that he has a good virus/security tool (set to auto update daily) on his PC before you ever let him have access to any of your files again.

Oh, He is turned off. I also put almost everyone else as "read only". In reality, there are only a few people I want to have edit access.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein