Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain indirect

Options
njjohn
njjohn Member Posts: 3
Has anyone been having issues with Weil McLain indirect tanks prematurely failing. I have a customer who built a house in 2010. The indirect started leaking and I replaced it on 03/27/14. The indirect just failed again on the heating coil causing the boiler safety to blow off constantly. I searched online to see if there has been any issues and found a maintenance bulletin they posted on 03/24/14. Obviously the maintenance bulletin wasn’t in the paperwork package shipped with the tank since it was published the time the warranty tank tank was shipped. If you installed a warranty unit three days after the bulletin was issued should Weil McLain not have notified the supply houses and contractors about it. They have all your and the homeowners information for the warranty claim.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Which models is it? The WM's used to be rebranded Triangle Tube Smart's. Smarts are very vulnerable to O2 on the boiler side and can be easily damaged by incorrect installation. Otherwise great units.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 885
    Options
    I was once told by WM that their indirects did not like high potable water pressure, like you would see from the city. He told me that high pressure would ruin the seals between the two tanks. He made sure that I saw in the manual that they recommend an expansion tank on all installs. Especially on city water applications where there was a pressure reducer with a built in back flow.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    On L.I. the bladder tank had a high failure rate. Many warranty replacements.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I had a coil fail on the SS Aqua Plus. They do want you to check the anode on a regular basis.
    They denied the warranty at 1st. Had to be persistent.