Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect concerns

Options
Bob_115
Bob_115 Member Posts: 39
I am considering installing an indirect water heater in my 1000 sq ft ranch. I see some posts talk about listeria being an issue in these tanks. Is this a real concern and what would prevent that. Secondly does long island water have a high chlorine level that would shorten the life span of a stainless steel tank?

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Store your water at 140* F in the tank and use a mixing valve to deliver at 115* F.
    Steve Minnich
    Adolfo2SuperTechRich_49
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's Legionella... but whatever, as @Steve Minnich said, keep the tank at 140 F and mix it down and you'll be fine.

And it's not chlorine that is the problem, it's chloride -- and that shouldn't be particularly high on Long Island, unless you have an ion exchange water softener.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CanuckerSuperTech
  • Bob_115
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and correction. Knowledge is power!
  • Bob_115
    Options
    What type of control would I need to prioritize DHW over space heating in a hydronic system?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    What do you have for a boiler? Oil, atmospheric gas, power gas, mod/con?

Your question depends on the boiler. Also what size indirect, and what are your domestic hot water demands?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Bob_115
    Options
    I have an oil fired boiler with a tankless coil. My hot water demands are low as we are a retired couple. I was thinking that a small indirect would work for us.I may upgrade to a smaller oil fired boiler as mine is oversized.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Realistically pretty much all oil boilers are oversized for residential demands. Unless you have a very large leaky house. You probably don't need priority setting at all.
    kcopp
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Take a look at the Purepro indirect water heater built by Amtrol for F W Webb. Plastic lining water never touches metal. Also Vaughn makes a stone lined and new plastic indirect water heater. Glass lined indirect water heater also works good if you have high cloridies.
    If going to a new oil fired water heater take a look at the Trio oil boiler build for F W Webb. You can do outdoor reset with this boiler. This boiler can be fired with oil, natural gas or LP gas.
    Find yourself a good heating contractor and they can help you with your needs and concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gaD_Nz2dGY&feature=share

http://www.pureproproducts.com/htg/trio_boilers.html

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    In my area, we have particularly bad luck with the plastic lined amtrol tanks. Many leakers, most dont make it 5 years.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    edited March 2019
    Options
    1000 sq ft, only one thermostat? Usually a priority control isn't necessary for that setup but an outdoor reset control with DHW priority control is nice to have for efficiency and fuel consumption. With that setup you will only heat up the boiler to its maximum temperature during the coldest days of the year and during DHW production

Tekmar controls are awesome. Honeywell makes a kit that goes with their digital aquastats that does it all too.

I have a amtrol boilermate, 8 years old and no problem. Definitely take water quality into consideration when choosing a tank. If hard water or high mineral content is an issue use a Aquapure scale stopper.