Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sealing gaps around risers

jmob77
jmob77 Member Posts: 39
To fight insects, I am trying to get rid of all large gaps around the risers on my one-pipe steam system; mostly where they come up through the floor, but also where they penetrate the ceiling in my boiler room. I am trying to find the safest and most durable method. Is steel wool really safe around pipes that get so hot? What about expanding foam. My first thought is to pack tightly with steel wool and place an escutcheon on top. Sound durable and safe? Any other tricks?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Steel wool is perfectly safe you can't burn it. Thats what I would use. Stay away from foam. Fiberglass is an option
  • coelcanth
    coelcanth Member Posts: 89
    my problem with steel wool is that it corrodes and crumbles and turns to black dust over time... i pulled out a huge amount of it when redoing my radiators and shoe mouldings and it was very messy..

i might try something like bronze wool in the future.. but that might be expensive..
    fiberglass is an option too..but if you have a mouse problem as well; it won't really stop them
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    I haven't had any problem with spray foam, and it seals great. (I put it in both places you mentioned after water started dripping into my basement from a gap at a riser when my tenant mopped her floor.)

Here is one of my radiator risers. Figure that foam is at least 20 years old.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,885
    That heavy duty steel wool used in commercial kitchens for scrubbing pots and pans works great and does not fall apart. It works much better then the stuff you can get off the shelf at the hardware store.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Sorry, I'm still hung up on the insect thing. It may make more sense to get rid of the insects that to seal openings around steam pipes.
    ethicalpaul