Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue liner

Options
Bob_115
Bob_115 Member Posts: 39
Does any one in the USA make a ceramic flue liner like the ones made in Germany by Hart? These liners are light weight ,sturdy and impervious to condensates.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Whats the application?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob_115
    Options
    This would be used as a liner for the installation of a Biasi B10-3 oil fired boiler. The chimney has an 8X8 clay tile liner.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Wonder why you dont want to use the standard SS liner?
    You know you can direct vent that too.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Just reline with a 316Ti ss listed liner. That ceramic liner is not currently recognized in the US that I can find. You can direct vent that boiler but you can't direct vent it through that ceramic liner, which was designed for negative vent pressure only.
  • Bob_115
    Options
    I live in a one story ranch built on a slab foundation. The present boiler is in the middle of the house where the chimney is. The neighbors homes are fairly close and they enjoy sitting in their backyards so I am afraid a direct vent would create a nuisance for them. Do you think this is a realistic view?
    As for the ceramic liner I was just exploring my options.
    Spiritrider
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Are they sitting outside in the winter?
    I would do the SS liner like I and Bob mentioned-cheaper and usually pretty easy.
    You spend all that money for ceramic and may find no one will allow it without a fight.

SuperTech
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Bob Harper
    Options
    Polypro has a max. service temp. of 230°F. This boiler is rated at 350°flue gas outlet temp. This is oil fired. Most PP are listed only for CAT IV gas.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    An interior chimney doesnt necessarily need a liner. Less prone to condensation. Just check the terracotta and get a cap.
  • Bob Harper
    Options
    You need a video camera and training to "check" flue tile. Trust me: I do it for a living. Yes, interior chimneys are less prone to condensation but still they must be suitable for the class of service. That is determined by the building code and an inspection. The IRC points you to NFPA 211 for chimneys serving heaters. Chapter 15 in 211 details what, where, when and how to inspect. Do you really think you can look up or down a chimney and confirm not only are the flue tiles solid with no defects but the mortar in the joints is completely filled joints, struck smooth using a medium duty non-water soluble calcium aluminate refractory cement mixture? That is the Standard of Care along with sizing and height above the roof. Still waiting to find that chimney properly built to code. Haven't met anyone who's found that unicorn either.
    STEVEusaPAHVACNUT