Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Made it thru the 1st winter -how about summer?

Options
ksd99
ksd99 Member Posts: 77
The former owner of the house had the boiler, 1 pipe system, serviced semi annually. This spring when they come out what would I have them do? Does the boil get turned off? Drained? Etc.....then they will come back in sept - what would I have them do at that point?

New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Don't really have to do anything to the boiler itself. No need to drain. No need even to turn it off if you don't want to -- if the thermostat doesn't call for heat, it won't run anyway.

Sometime during the summer, though, you should have it serviced. Oil or gas, the burner needs to be checked and adjusted as necessary. Oil needs to have the filter(s) replaced. In either case, the boiler itself needs to be cleaned. Probably take a morning at least to do it all and do it right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Oil or gas?
    Clean boiler and burners, clean, check and adjust all controls and test all controls, clean and replace oil filter, nozzle and pump strainer. Check flue pipe and chimney and clean.

Combustion test and report,

That's minimum
  • ksd99
    ksd99 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed it is gas -
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Then it's the same list, just don't worry about the oil filter, nozzle and pump strainer. Do check that the ignitor and pilot flame are working properly though, and any rollout switches or other safeties. Flame sensor. Flame transfer arrangements...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England