Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator Discussion

Options
drooplug
drooplug Member Posts: 26
I know I need to place the circulator as low in the system as possible and to pump away from the PONPC. However, does the circulator placement matter concerning brazed plate heat exchangers and buffers tanks?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Remember that the objective of the exercise is to ensure that under all possible operating conditions there is adequate pressure at the inlet to the pump. The most reliable way to do that is to ensure that the PONPC -- typically an expansion tank -- ls located close to but not right at the pump inlet, with minimal pipe fittings (e.g. elbows) in between. Beyond that..
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    The pump does not have to be at the lowest point. It is a closed loop and makes no difference. Pump away from the expansion tank. The water make up should be at or near the expansion tank. Try and put any restrictions (brazed plate etc) on the pump discharge
  • drooplug
    Options
    Thank's for the input.

Siegenthaler recommends keeping it low in the system to avoid cavitation. My circulator will be in the basement, so I will balance keeping it low and having a functional layout.
  • drooplug
    Options
    What about in situations where there is more than one circulator in the system? Such as using a circulator to pump zones.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Having a sketch of the piping, and components would be helpful.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    I think you have posted before with the open system OWF?
    In open systems the circulator needs to be as low as possible as the water level above the circulator is the only "head" it sees.

Put any devices downstream of the circulator. At high operating temperatures you are riding a fine line for cavitation issues with high head circulators especially. Any flow restrictions on the suction side will further encourage cavitation in the circulator.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • drooplug
    Options
    I do not have an open system. I had posted in the Heat Pump section.

I am currently working on a piping diagram.