Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Heating a open top tank

dipperdipper Posts: 1Member
Hello all ( new here) question please I have a open top tank I need to keep at 90 degrees I’m wanting to put in a heating element with a thermostat I have a hot water heater in my shop now and I’m wanting to know can I just unplug it and use the power cord to run the element I’m putting into my tank

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,672Member
    That's a little vague... what power is the water heater? What power is the heating element in your tank? Is this a fixed installation (requires a hard connection -- no plugs -- according to code) or does the heater in the tank float around, like a stock tank heater?
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • hot_rodhot_rod Posts: 11,685Member
    You can buy immersion elements that hook over the side of open tanks. A larger version of the travel coffee mug heater elements.

Or some stock tank deicers as Jamie mentioned.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • Aidan (UK)Aidan (UK) Posts: 289Member
    dipper said:

Hello all ( new here) question please I have a open top tank I need to keep at 90 degrees I’m wanting to put in a heating element with a thermostat I have a hot water heater in my shop now and I’m wanting to know can I just unplug it and use the power cord to run the element I’m putting into my tank

Why do you want to do that? There may be a better way of achieving your purpose.

90 deg F (32 degC ) is a nearly ideal temperature for cultivating legionella ( or any other random bacteria) in your tank. Also, immersion heater thermostats can fail by arc-welding themselves closed (permanently on) and the water may boil. If it's a plastic tank, it may soften and collapse, releasing a boiling waterfall. That has happened.
  • SuperTechSuperTech Posts: 938Member
    If you really want to do this just go to the pet supply store and buy a heater for a large aquarium.