Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

depressurizing gas line with a HTP UFT-100

Options
Bill751
Bill751 Member Posts: 119
Before I get everyone excited ( which is understandable) I'll start by saying I have worked in the gas industry since 2012. First on pipelines, then compressor stations. So I've worked with and on live high pressure gas lines such as 1200 PSI and projects with up to 42" pipe diameter. That being said I have no concerns about safety when dealing with the low pressure line.

My question is due to and concerns my lack of experience with the computer controlled boiler my line is connected to. And how it can or can not be used to dump the pressure in my line. Basically I'm not looking to cause any issues with the boiler or make it a pain to restart when I'm done.

I need to depressurize the line between my meter and the boiler. I assume I could probably shut off at the meter while the boiler is firing, or while the boiler is off then call for heat. Maybe the latter would be better. The result being the line depressurizes ( or mostly). I also assume this will set some boiler faults. I have a HTP UFT-100. Is this acceptable and would it lead to an easy refire?

I'm just guessing here but I assume it wouldn't be a big deal since boilers would encounter this naturally if there was ever an interruption in the local gas supply.

If this isn't recommended then no big deal, will do it another way. Just seemed like the easiest/ cleanest way to dump the pressure. Even though the line totals about 67 feet, being such a low pressure, I can't imagine there's that much pressurized volume that will come out anyway.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    You should have a gas cock adjacent to the boiler to provide shut off isolation to the appliance. You could close the valve and dump the boiler gas pressure by loosening the union nut under the boiler, or shut off the gas meter and dump everything. You may have to restart several times until all air is purged and the boiler doesn't see a fault.
  • Bill751
    Options

You should have a gas cock adjacent to the boiler to provide shut off isolation to the appliance. You could close the valve and dump the boiler gas pressure by loosening the union nut under the boiler, or shut off the gas meter and dump everything. You may have to restart several times until all air is purged and the boiler doesn't see a fault.

Thanks Paul. Yes I need to dump the whole line so the shut off at the boiler won't help in this case. I Will be using the one at the meter. Basically I was preferring to dump the pressure out the boiler exhaust vent or as fire vent rather than by loosening the union prior to depressurization and dumping the gas into the room.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Shut it off at the meter while the boiler is on. Then shut the boiler off (or it may already be locked out) When your work is complete turn on at the meter, bleed air at the boiler union, tighten the union and fire the boiler. You should have no issues
  • Bill751
    Options

Shut it off at the meter while the boiler is on. Then shut the boiler off (or it may already be locked out) When your work is complete turn on at the meter, bleed air at the boiler union, tighten the union and fire the boiler. You should have no issues

Thanks. Done. Leak fixed, pressured back up and fired on second attempt no problem.
    DZoroZman