Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air handler/heating coil or furnace?

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Rebuilding (gutted) and adding to old 1870's stone building. Radiant w/ indirect HW. AC will be mostly ducted in the stone building with the addition using mini splits -- Both will be HP as I'm forced to use propane and that will give me the ability to warm up in the shoulder seasons w/o turning on the radiant (slab / warm board).

Initially this will be a weekend house. Typically if we are not going to be around for a few weeks we do turn the heat down. Most installers want to use the boiler feeding a coil in the air handler to give some extra heat for quicker recovery -- over just the HP. My initial thought was to install a furnace -- this is going to be a Carrier multi speed HP. Frankly the HP may be enough ... but having another heat source with all the controls integrated seems like a better idea.

Adding the coil and related piping/ controls has to be a a big chunk of just doing a small furnace.

I have used kickspace heaters once and I had a garage with a hanging fan coil - both on houses with CI boilers.

What's the thought of fan coils ? -- remember seeing them used in a couple TOH episodes.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    I vote Heat Pumps but be warned they Do Not Like Recovery and are very Slow doing it.

Adding HW coils (Glycol) gives you the required back up along with more BTU's in a short time period. A speed driven pump adds to the comfort level!

Oversized coils allow for Condensing boilers!
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    I'm doing the heat pump regardless -- never gave the oversized coil a thought.

My current place is oil FA.. we do drop it down to around 62 when we leave .. also turn off the oil WH. Being oil -- it's able to be blowing hot air in no time and the water heater takes about 15min from cold.

Maybe I'm wrong and the coil is the way to go. I guess with an overside coil I will not need another mixing valve ?