Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How can add a small zone to an existing hydronic loop thats off a oil fired steam boiler?

Options
ericmhurtado
ericmhurtado Member Posts: 53
edited February 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello everyone. I would like to add a zone, a small 80sq ft office, to the hydronic loop thats piped off a oil fired steam boiler. What is the easiest way to achieve this? Can I use the disabled tankless coil? I would also like to replace my current relay, a honeywell ra89a, with a taco sr501 but not sure it will handle 2 zones? Please see attached pic. Thanks for all the advice.

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    You can buy different size zone control panels that will serve multiple circulators or zone valves. It's strange to see someone who has two circulators on a Steam boiler already asking to add another. Why not get a dedicated hydronic boiler for all of those zones with pumps? I'm guessing that one is for DHW.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    OP, You should keep all your questions in one thread. You have 3 going that are basically the same thing.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    The easiest way would be to use zone valves.
    Install the SR501 as discussed in another thread.
    You could also look at the Taco ZVC402. Either control needs to power both primary and secondary circulators so you need to check the control ratings to see if it can handle the load. Should, but check.
  • ericmhurtado
    Options
    Ok @STEVEusaPA . My mistake. I thought it would be better for people when their searching for topics for me to separate them.
    @SuperTech I’m not sure what you are recommending? That I should buy a separate boiler dedicated solely to hydronic and keep my existing for steam?
    Thanks @HVACNUT I think I’ll get the sr502 so that I can future proof myself in case I want to add another zone
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    No, @ericmhurtado , @SuperTech was suggesting -- correctly -- to get another circulator. Which is the simplest way to do what you want to do.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • ericmhurtado
    Options
    Ok guys sorry for the misunderstanding. Please understand I’m here on this forum to learn, do not have a reliable plumber or hvac tech in this area, no one to trust, I’m a diyer and do not have excess cash to hire.
    Ok so add a circulator to that zone. Any suggestions on how to pipe the extra zone?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    if you goggle add a loop that is how I add a loop on my last two jobs that wanted an add on room.
    you could also use the domestic water coil which looks like it has 2 copper pipe stub outs already.