Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oh the glory of steam

Options
Sooo... for the first few months of the winter. Our steam system was working very well. We got rid of ALL of the loud clanks that we were experiencing the previous year by adjusting the tilt of the radiators and adjusting the vents on the radiators.

A few days, there must have been a power surge or something, because our boiler did not come on as it typically does in the morning. It started about 45 minutes later than normal. I think the power surge probably happened some time overnight so the heat had been off all night.

Anyway, now for the last couple of days, the clanking is back in 2 of the problematic radiators. Why would the boiler being down for longer then normal cause the clanking to return?

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    A longer than normal run cycle (after the downtime) could have resulted in more condensation than usual in some place in your pipes. This could be causing some water hammer. It seems to me it should clear up just as mysteriously as it arrived.

Only a 45 minute delay, however, doesn't seem like it should have resulted in a significantly longer run time upon its return...

You could look for the source of the clank and see if there are any sags or strange pipe configurations that could result in water pooling.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    If your system isn't "perfect" you will see differences in performance when it's starting from cold, versus warm, versus hot. On my system a cold or slightly warm start exposes a bit of expansion noise, but it doesn't happen often. One day I will "catch it" and figure out how to fix it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15