Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Well McLain steam boiler

Options
dalb1
dalb1 Member Posts: 2
Hello. We have a steam boiler in our church and having many problems it heats the church sanctuary and has two thermostats one for the back and one up by the pulpit. It also has valves for each side. A few weeks ago on Sunday morning it shut down because it went too low on water. Discovered it had severe wet return leak and all that piping has been replaced and we do not have any more leaks. Another issue is that the pulpit thermostat would be set on 70 but would just keep climbing would have gone to 90 if we would let it. The other side seems to be ok. We are not adding any water but it was really full clear to the top of the sight glass , we drained a bunch out and noticed that when running water would be coming from the top of the sight glass. Thermostats have been checked and they operate ok. In addition now the nit shuts off and will not start unless the reset button is triggered. Sometimes it keeps running but other times it just shuts down. We can’t seem to find anybody in our area with a lot of knowledge. If anyone knows someone around Iowa city iowa please let me know. Any suggestions or help will be much appereciated

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Maybe you can ask the countermen at a wholesale plumbing and heating company, (Fergusson?), for names of local steam pros.
    I suspect the pressuretrol tripped out because the over full boiler had too much water pressure.
    It won't take long for the right person to fix the runaway temperature. I believe that Dave from the Quad Cities has found someone very good with steam. Is that close to you?
    In the meantime, we are here to help with questions about symptoms, and suggestions for remediation.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Pictures, always pictures. Zone valves and boiler piping.

You probably have oil from the new piping which is on the surface of the water which will give you problems. Skimming the boiler will remove these, it is a time consuming process.
    I have a church that the priest will skim while saying morning prayers. That doesn't happen very often! o:)

How far are you from Omaha?
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Where are you located?

For the overheating zone it sounds like the zone valve has failed open.
    Never stop learning.
  • dalb1
    dalb1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Near Iowa city iowa 90 miles from quad cities much too far from Omaha
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @Dave in QCA is 90 miles too far for you?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Iowa City is about 50 miles from me. I could get over there sometime, but not for several days. I don't know who the qualified steam people are in Iowa City. Plumber's Supply, the wholesale house there used to have a knowledgeable boiler man on staff, but I'm sure he's retired by now.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I checked a map, Omaha is only about half way there for me.
    However I do make it to Omaha and thought if you were close it would be a good retreat from the fabric stores. ;)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Is there a good quilting/fabric shop in Iowa City, to lure Jugne over?—NBC
    JUGHNESuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    We also visit Chicago occasionally, but take Amtrak, it is always an adventure. Don't think it passes thru Iowa City?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    No, Amtrak runs on the old CB&Q / Burlington Line that runs east/west across southern Iowa. It stops in Mt. Pleasant, (my old home town) 50 miles south of Iowa City. However, Iowa City is on I-80, which is a driving route to Chicago.

Where exactly is this church? 90 Mi from Quad Cities, not too far from Iowa City, but where?
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I’m in SE Iowa down in Keokuk. Not a steam expert and newer to HVAC as a service tech, but know enough to solve most issues and good with controls. If you can’t find anyone else, my boss might allow it. Would have to add in travel time.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    It sounds like 2 separate issues IMO:
    Need skimming from the new piping oil/work; as water leaves the boiler and then overfills.

Control of zone valve not working.

You mention having to hit the reset button.....which one?
    Low water cut off
    High pressure cut off
    Oil burner flame out needing reset

Pictures will show a lot.