Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Ecobee to Burnham boiler

Options
TXBDan
TXBDan Member Posts: 28
edited February 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all,

I recently had a Burnham Independence IN5 boiler installed. Here are the installation instructions for reference (Electrical on Page 16):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Burnham-SIN5LNI-LE2-Install-Instructions.pdf

I have an Ecobee 4 thermostat that i'd like to install. Here is documentation on that:
https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/227874667-Heat-only-2-wire-boiler-furnace-installations-for-ecobee-thermostats

I currently have only 2 wires running to the tstat to switch the boiler on/off.

I'm fine with running new wire between the tstat and boiler so adding a 3rd wire for a C wire would be fine. I could also run 4 wires which would open up the possibly of running a wall wart power supply.

What options are possible and what do you all think would be best?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    You can also add a common wire maker kit on the existing two wires. I have one on my van for these situations. I believe the box says something like "fast stat" on it. If you can wire a relay then you can install the kit.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Your thermostat connection is with Blue and Brown at the boiler. The Yellow wires shown off the other side of the transformer is the Common you need for the EcoBee. It's a 40va transformer so you're good.

Dont add a third wire. Run a new 4 conductor wire and use the existing as a puller. You only need three wires but that fourth might be needed someday.
    SuperTech
  • TXBDan
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. I see the yellow is used as C/Neutral/GND elsewhere in the circuit. Thanks!
  • TXBDan
    Options
    I wired it up today and its working like a champ. Thanks!
  • 4lane
    4lane Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same issue. How did you connect your new C wire to the yellow wire exactly?
  • TXBDan
    edited October 2019
    Options
    4lane said:

I have the same issue. How did you connect your new C wire to the yellow wire exactly?

I don't remember exactly, but i believe I ran the new 3-wire HVAC wire the same way the old 2-wire went, to a metal junction box above the boiler. I think its where the transformer is. I unscrewed a cover and inside were many wires included the yellow ones. There were two yellow wires wire-nutted together so i added the HVAC C wire to that bundle and it works. I'll double check and take a pic tonight.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Might I add... don't count on the colour coding of wires being correct. Even licensed electricians make some odd choices, now and then... test and verify.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England