Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Mitsubishi Kumo Station

Anyone installed a Kumo Station yet? We are jumping into the fire tomorrow. I’m just an average joe with IT.

The Kumo cloud is curious; out of the 4 or 5 jobs we’ve installed with Cloud, half the customers struggled and the other half breezed it. All were good with WiFi.

Massachusetts has some crazy big rebates for tying the ductless to fossil fuel (oil or propane) zones via the Kumo Station

The world is changing
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
www.wilsonph.com
[email protected]

Comments

• wpmikewpmike Posts: 13Member
    I installed Kumo Cloud on my H2i heat pumps at home. I think the hardest part is taking apart the head and connecting the kumo cloud device. Just follow the direction carefully using your phone to configure the device. They have a transfer ownership feature so you can pass it to your customer.

One of the reason I installed it, Mitsubishi offer a Wireless Temperature sensor, the default sensor in the head is useless it really doesn't provide a temperature of the room. Here is a link to the device if curious.

http://meus1.mylinkdrive.com/item/PAC-USWHS003-TH-1.html
  • TAGTAG Posts: 103Member
    I have two 3 head Hyper heat systems (two different properties) -- they use a Honeywell interface. Has Mitsubishi moved to an all new system?

Mine uses that common wireless wall thermostat that Mitsubishi uses -- all the heads get an interface (plugs into units) and there is a router (or something ) that plugs into the internet. Honeywell online portal.
  • GWGW Posts: 3,406Member
    Yes this is different, it interfaces with the boiler or furnace. New stuff and big rebates
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
    Well that was an experience. The directions that come in the box are useless, and, one is supposed to go to mylinkdrive to get the “real” directions. It was just a 70 minute on hold to wait for the right tech guy to take my call
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
    Can you explain what it does that's so special?
    yes, very large rebates in Mass this year is we are 'displacing' oil or propane heating with the 'integrated' control system. $1600 per 12,000 BTU of 'col climate' heat pump installed ($1000 per 12,000 BTU if it's central heat pump)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
    another Kumo Station install

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
    I get the rebates for the switch from fossil ... but, what is this control doing that's so special above what the unit would do w/o.

Yes this control automatically switches to fossil is cold weather. It’s acting as a dual fuel switch
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
    one more- the rebates are big

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
  • dr_cdr_c Posts: 4Member
    @GW - When you install the Kumo Station with remote temperature sensors, do they replace the wall thermostats for the backup fossil boiler with the contacts in the Kumo Station calling for heat when needed based on the temperature set with the app?
    May I presume you’re a Massachusetts person? Mass is the only state with the crazy high rebates. We are taking about Kumo Clouds right? I guess you could say “remote sensor”.

When set up with Kumo Station, you don’t need traditional thermostats anymore. I feel like that’s too far of a leap and we leave the existing thermostats in place, wired in series with the Kumo Station.

So, yes, temps are set in the app, and old stats are turned down. Or, pull the stats

It’s apparent some people in society won’t like this technology; an app-based system and possible “non exact” switchover points”. I have to do a little pre-screening with our potential Kumo customers. When I ask “are you comfortable with general WiFi networking and phone-based apps”, and get a no or a long pause, I won’t install this stuff. The older the person the more I ask (so sorry older folks)

As I type, it seems inevitable that HVAC will steer towards smart technology. Now it’s an option. Old school heating/cooling dudes will get pushed to the back on the line. Utilities are beginning to push the issue.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]
  • dr_cdr_c Posts: 4Member
    Great. Thanks for confirming that. It read like that was the case in the manuals but was not certain. Up in Maine here - wish we had the rebates. Just using wanting to use Kumo station and Kumo cloud to simplify controls in an application with 4 Mitsubshi zones / 4 boiler zones. 8 thermostats not going over well in this installation.

Looks like Mitsubshi should come up with a wall mounted “Kumo Thermostat” where you could set the temperature outside the app to help with cross generational acceptance.

Thanks a bunch.
  • mikeg2015mikeg2015 Posts: 795Member
    What I haven’t seen much yet are “smart” system that leverage heat pumps based on predicted building load and outdoor conditions. For example overheating or overcooling when outdoor temps are more optimal, then coasting at other periods or on a minisplit, intentionally limiting output. Also linking with the smart grid in the same manner for tiem of use savings.

Only works with a higher mass building.
    Mike, it seems like Massachusetts has an abundance of electricity (lots of PV solar) and the utilities are trying to encourage people to burn more watts.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    www.wilsonph.com
    [email protected]