Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water leaking out of the air vent

Options
itzik
itzik Member Posts: 40
Hi I have this radiator that gives me a hard time lately. Its seems to me that the building sank over the years... I did put some wood under the radiator and its angled towards the pipe. I have gorton #5 air vent in it. The radiator is located on the first floor and its piped directly... I mean not continuing to another floor. Here is a drawing I made. I changed the air valve few times. Now I am thinking if there is any air vent on the market that will block water to go through? Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    How's the pitch on the main in the basement? Did raising the radiator correct that pitch? If there is wet steam getting to the radiator, most vents won't do much to block it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    How long has this problem been going on? What size is the pipe to that radiator? What size is the radiator? (A picture of the radiator would help) Is the supply valve fully open?
  • itzik
    itzik Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I raised it the other day a bit more so ill know better in few days if it helped. I dont live there so hard to follow it daily. I think the pipe is 2 inches. i just bought trv for a different property and was thinking to get one for this as well.
    @Fred @Jamie Hall
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    How high is the steam pressure?
    The supply valve may seem open but the disk could be detached from the stem and resting in the closed position. It would pass steam but not allow condensate to drain back.