Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blower motor leaking oil

Duane1234
Duane1234 Member Posts: 6
We had a repairmen claim that our blower motor was leaking oil and should be replaced. It’s a Goodman gms8 multi speed gas furnace. Does the blower motor actually have a resevoir of oil to lubricate it? That doesn’t seem likely.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Duane1234 said:

We had a repairmen claim that our blower motor was leaking oil and should be replaced. It’s a Goodman gms8 multi speed gas furnace. Does the blower motor actually have a resevoir of oil to lubricate it? That doesn’t seem likely.

Say what? And I'll be he pointed to a little puddle of oil on the floor? Get another repairman. I've yet to see a modern electric motor with a reservoir of oil. A saturated wick, maybe, but not a reservoir to leak.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    STEVEusaPADuane1234
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    +1 @Jamie Hall
    Only an old style Split Phase motor could (should) be oiled (over oiled).
    Definitely shouldn't be that type of blower motor on a multi speed.
    Hopefully he didn't oil it.
    steve
    Duane1234
  • Duane1234
    He said it was “leaking oil” insinuating there was oil to be leaked. I’m not a hvac tech but I’ve worked on a couple and there wasn’t any oil to leak.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    B S, I'd say. Does it squeal or make any odd noises?
    D
    Duane1234
  • Duane1234
    Thanks you’ll all confirming what I thought.
  • Duane1234
    The heater had no issues. My mom called them out for routine check he came back with 2,300 dollars of needed repairs including the motor. It seemed like bs right away.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    as far as I know all the modern motors have sealed bearings...no oil
    Duane1234
  • Duane1234
    That’s what I thought.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Older motors may have felt packing which is meant to hold oil for the life of the motor. Often they bleed some oil out the shaft end. I have seen them still run for years after that happens.
    Duane1234
  • Duane1234
    edited February 2019
    The heater was installed in 2005. So even if it’s wicking the oil the motor wouldn’t need replacing unless it was making noise. Even then you should be able to relube the felt.