Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Vent Valves / 2ndFloor Non Occupied

Options
diy_ny
diy_ny Member Posts: 26
Hello All,

I have a thermostat that is located in my living room. The radiator in the living room has a home depot "knockoff" of a hoffman #40 non-adjustable angled vent valve on a 22 section radiator. Would it make sense for me to put a #4 vent valve or should I just stick to the existing valve? Also, on my 2nd floor, I have no one living up there for now with 2 radiators. I'm not sure if it's best to put a thermostatic radiator valve on each or just to disconnect the radiators and cap them from a energy savings perspective? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Get your self a Vent-Rite #1 vent for that living room. It is adjustable and you can set it wherever you want for comfort. Those HD knockoffs are a waste of money and, if they work at all, they won't last long.
    As for your second floor, How large are those radiators relative to the rest of you radiators. Most boilers are already over sized and disconnecting or closing those two off will likely cause your boiler to start short cycling, if it doesn't already. I would put a slower vent on those radiators, either a Hoffman #40 or a Vent-Rite set to #2 or 3 and let some steam into those radiators. It's not good for plaster to be cold or exposed to wide temp swings with weather changing frequently. Not good for any furniture up there either.

You can't just disconnect the radiators and cap the pipe. The valve will have to be removed as well. The threads on the valve that connects to the radiator are different and a cap will 100% leak.
    diy_ny
  • diy_ny
    Options
    Thank you Fred. As for the vent-rite #1, what would be preferable setting for this living room? It has two openings, one near the vestibule and the other to the back rooms with 3 windows, if this matters? One of the second floor radiators are fairly large (18 section) and the other is a 12 section. I'm going to purchase a few Hoffman #40's and a Vent-Rite.
  • Fred
    Options
    What has two openings? This is a one pipe steam system right (only one pipe going into that radiator)? That is a large radiator, I would start with a setting of 3 or 4 on the vent-rite and you can adjust it up or down depending on how warm the room gets. You don't want that room to get too warm as your thermostat is in that same room and if you heat that room too quickly, the thermostat will be satisfied before the other radiators warm the other rooms.

Those second floor radiators are large too. Closing those or disconnecting them will certainly cause the boiler to short cycle.
    diy_ny
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    Do leave some heat in the second floor -- at least enough to keep it above the dewpoint up there (probably around 50 to 55). Anything less than that and you will get condensation which, over time, will do a lot of damage -- much more than the savings in heat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    diy_ny
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    @diy_ny do you mean the room has 2 openings ie door ways?

Set the ventrites to 4 and see were you are, adjust accordingly.

I am also guessing the 22 sections are 4 tube radiators and not 3 column. Pics would help.

If you shut the upstairs radiators off you will oversize the boiler and cause other problems with the heat and as @Jamie Hall mentioned plaster damage.

Keep it heated and maintain the system balance.
    diy_ny
  • diy_ny
    Options
    Thank you both. Sorry for the confusion. I do have a one pipe system. I meant to say that the living room has no doors open areas.
  • diy_ny
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Would you recommend the Hoffman #40 adjustables? Also, with the adjustable vents are they set from lowest (1) to highest (10) based on the rate of how much air can be released?
  • Fred
    Options
    diy_ny said:

Would you recommend the Hoffman #40 adjustables? Also, with the adjustable vents are they set from lowest (1) to highest (10) based on the rate of how much air can be released?

Yes, on the Vent-Rite, "1" is "off" , "8" is fastest venting. so for the second floor, I would set them to "2" or "3"
    diy_ny
  • diy_ny
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Does it mean, the higher the vent number the quicker the steam can heat the radiators because of the increased opening for air to leave?
  • Fred
    Options
    diy_ny said:

Does it mean, the higher the vent number the quicker the steam can heat the radiators because of the increased opening for air to leave?

Exactly
    diy_ny
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    You can't find a better adjustable vent than the Ventrite #1. The ease of adjustment is amazing and it is almost silent.
    diy_ny