Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cold radiator after new vents on steam main

Options
Hi All, I moved into an old home with a one-pipe steam system last year. Recently, I had vents installed on the steam mains in the basement. Since then, I've noticed the second story of the house heats up more quickly, but one of the radiators on the first floor (almost directly above the new main vent) is no longer getting heat -- unless I really crank the thermostat. Any thoughts on what's going on, and how I can get heat to that radiator? I'm grateful for your advice.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    First thing I'd do is trace the runout to that radiator and see if it is getting hot... and make sure nothing happened to its pitch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If that radiator is directly above (or near) the new main vent, that means that radiator is probably at the end of the main. What size/type "new" vent did they install? It may be way too small and cannot push all the air out of the main so that steam can get to that radiator run-out during a normal heating cycle.