Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old TRV

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
Saw this one today on a Vapor system in Arlington, VA. We replaced the boiler on this Webster Vapor System about ten years ago.

The TRV is a Trane valve. I have no idea how old it is but it finally failed during this cold snap. We will replace it next week with a Danfoss.
kcopp

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Nice find Mr Foley’ I did a job years ago that had some early 1910 try made by the Fulton syphon company Never seen before or after The building had a couple of hundred of them in the 5 story building Most still working unfortunately the building was a ward 9 scam of some sorts but was very interesting place extremely ran down but all the original stuff was there including the original burmham coal to oil boiler of course dead and left in place That’s for posting brings back memories peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Dan Foley
    Thanks, Clammy.

My guess is that someone added these Trane Valves at some point.

The original boiler was coal fired tied to a Webster Vapor System.

We installed this Burnham about ten years ago. We replaced all of the crossover vents and it has worked great until this valve failed.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,354
    edited February 2019
    Are those old valves similar inside to modern ones? I think I remember some with double half butterfly mechanisms like carburetor chokes.
  • Dan Foley
    @ Jumper

I’m not sure. I will take it apart when we go back next week.