Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone that doesn't heat properly

Options

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    ^ yes @SuperJ the goal would be to take measurements with all zones flowing wide open max speed, and take measurements, and then each individual zone. Or a combination of zones that seem to run together most of the time.

Measurements at
    Boiler out
    Boiler in
    System sensor out
    System in

Note boiler firing rate.

Preferably not right at startup.

This costs nothing, but your time.

• ntonkin
    ntonkin Member Posts: 135
    Options
    I have a little chart made up for the readings. This morning's readings when I first got up were:
    firing% 100
    boiler in 136
    boiler out161
    system 141
    delta T 25
    flue temp 186
    Secondary out 136
    Secondary return 114
    zones calling 1,2,3 & 5
    Outside temp -9

I removed the "throttling" on zone 3 and changed the speed on zone 6 from AutoAdapt to constant pressure 2 - - both indicating 3 gal/min flow. The only "throttling" is a bit on the primary as SuperJ had recommended earlier.

Latest are:
    firing% 100
    boiler in 139
    boiler out166
    system 148
    delta T 27
    flue temp 191
    Secondary out 142
    Secondary return 120
    zones calling 1,2,3,5 & 6
    Outside temp -7

Now I'm ready to open everything up and let em run.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    What do you guys think of the book "Primary-Secondary Pumping Made Easy!" by Dan Holohan?
    SuperTech
  • ntonkin
    Options
    All zones are wide open on fixed speed 3, primary is still on speed 1 with no throttling. At what intervals should I take reading?
  • Gordy
    Options
    I would do some when all zones are calling if possible, and when one, or two are calling. Which I dont know how the system mostly calls for heat.

also watch for boiler cycling.

System temp is the sensor for the boiler you moved to the secondary out pipe from the sep well correct? If so I would just use that number which saves taking a reading. They seem to agree with a 5 degree spread so I would trust the sensor over the strap on thermometer.

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    edited February 2019
    Options
    27degF delta at 100% fire, looks like your getting close to a reasonable primary flow rate.

ntonkin said:

What do you guys think of the book "Primary-Secondary Pumping Made Easy!" by Dan Holohan?

Haven't read that one, but Dan's books have a reputation for being great. It's hard to find books that are written with the home owner in mind, but still technical enough to give a good education. Dan, seems like he draws a perfect balance between his target audience and technicality.
    SuperTech
  • ntonkin
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Gordy said:

I would do some when all zones are calling if possible, and when one, or two are calling. Which I dont know how the system mostly calls for heat. also watch for boiler cycling.
    System temp is the sensor for the boiler you moved to the secondary out pipe from the sep well correct? If so I would just use that number which saves taking a reading. They seem to agree with a 5 degree spread so I would trust the sensor over the strap on thermometer.

Correct . . . they are both reading pipe surface temp. A 5 - 6 degree difference seems like a lot. I have some thermal paste coming tomorrow along with more strap-on thermometers. I think I'll use some thermal paste on the strap-on's too.

• ntonkin
    Options
    SuperJ said:

27degF delta at 100% fire, looks like your getting close to a reasonable primary flow rate.

ntonkin said:

Haven't read that one, but Dan's books have a reputation for being great. It's hard to find books that are written with the home owner in mind, but still technical enough to give a good education. Dan, seems like he draws a perfect balance between his target audience and technicality.
    Thanks SuperJ, I'll order a copy then.
  • ntonkin
    edited February 2019
    Options
    SuperJ, That was with the primary "throttled" as you suggested earlier, I just recently removed the "throttle". The graphs and chart look interesting, I'll have to study these a bit. Initially I'm at the "hog looking at a watch" stage.
  • SuperJ
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'll defer to Gordy, since he is trying to be methodical, and my suggestions are going to throw a curveball in his process. Just see my posts as comments, but follow Gordy's instructions. :) If the last measurements were with the throttle I would leave it in, until directed otherwise. If anything I suspect in the end you may have to throttle it a bit more (but don't yet, it kinda depends where your zone flow/delta's end up too).

It would worth reading the manual and setting up your outdoor reset properly. (but after your get your primary flow dialed in, don't want to change too much at once).
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/KBN106-Service.pdf
  • Gordy
    Options
    Actually @superj has my curiosity about the hydro sep being fouled.......never seen it. @hot_rod had one sent back with a hand sock in it.

You're getting stuff out of the clean out port.

At some point we should be able to match both boiler (which appears to be around 9 gpm), and system flows closely enough to send the same boiler flow out as the system flow. So boiler out, system out temps closely match, and system in, and boiler in match.

Right now I'm just seeing how the system out temps react with the system flow changes. Not much so far, but don't change anything just take some readings.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    First full bore readings:
    firing% 98
    boiler in 161
    boiler out181
    system 167
    delta T 20
    flue temp 194
    Secondary out 154
    Secondary return 135
    zones calling 3 & 5
    Outside temp +13
  • Gordy
    Options
    @SuperJ the manual doesn't indicate a 3 speed 26-99fc only the 26-99f.

Interesting as even in speed 3 the curve does not match the 26-99.

• Gordy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Is the primary wide open? On speed 1
  • SuperJ
    Options
    I wonder if the 3 speed chart is with a check installed. Maybe that's the "c" in 26-99fc?
  • SuperJ
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I still feel that even though it’s unlikely, something might be up with the separator. My gut tells me the boiler outlet temps should be lower based on the rest of the readings even with the expected mixing.

If the boiler return (161f) is 26f higher than the system return (135f) the boiler outlet (181f) and system sensor(154f) should be closer than they are even with a bit of mixing. I'd expect a bit of delta due to strap on sensors and such, but not almost 30degF between both the supply and return simultaneously. It’s seems like a blockage or fouling in the separator might be keeping the primary and secondary from crossing the separator as easily as they should.

I’d like to hear @hot_rod chime in on this?
  • ntonkin
    Options
    Gordy said:

Is the primary wide open? On speed 1

Absolutely
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Be nice to read all the temperatures with the same accurate thermometer. Or a point and shoot infrared gun. i came across on mod con that had the sensors misfired and the readings were flopped.

I can't see enough in the first pic, if it is a Caleffi Sep 4 the top unscrews to pull out the screen inside. It will have a large brass top like this.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperJ
  • Gordy
    Options
    One thing is for sure with the crud that’s been flushed that alpha may not digest well over time.

I agree on the temps readings, but I’m thinking at least using the boilers onboard in/out, and system supply sensors keeps things somewhat consistent.
    SuperTech
  • Gordy
    Options
    @hot_rod is that screen fine mesh, or coarser? I can’t imagine fine particulates getting hung up enough to plug the mesh. Unless it were a big slug all at once.
  • ntonkin
    edited February 2019
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Be nice to read all the temperatures with the same accurate thermometer. Or a point and shoot infrared gun. i came across on mod con that had the sensors misfired and the readings were flopped.

I can't see enough in the first pic, if it is a Caleffi Sep 4 the top unscrews to pull out the screen inside. It will have a large brass top like this.

The Caleffi is a 1" series 548 the spec sheet has 38505.03 at the top. There is a close-up pic of the separator above in the series provided for Tom_133 This unit was purchased 6 years ago and as I remember, it doesn't come apart.
    I have tried several different infrared guns and the temperatures they indicated were so erratic that I gave up on them. Any recommendations on a reliable gun?
  • Gordy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Use painters tape on the pipe you are shooting. IR will give erratic readings on different emissive surfaces
  • Gordy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You could shoot where the system supply sensor is located to verify accuracy. You should also be very close to the spot you are taking a reading. The aspect ratio can be wide on some of them.
    SuperJCanucker
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Where are you located? If one of us is nearby, we could probably get this thing nailed down.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    I highly recommend Primary secondary pumping made easy. It's a great book to learn from and Dan's writing style make it a pleasure to read. I can usually read the whole book in two nights.
  • Gordy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If this were a Hydro Cal high performance separator I might find fouling a little more believable, but the standard appears to have the mesh up near the top ports more for trapping air bubbles.

Anything is possible.....

• Gordy
    Options
    Any readings this AM?
  • ntonkin
    Options
    Tom_133 said:

Where are you located? If one of us is nearby, we could probably get this thing nailed down.

I'm in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Watersmeet township.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    Gordy said:

Any readings this AM?

firing% 100
    boiler in 154
    boiler out175
    system 130
    delta T 21
    flue temp 188
    Secondary out 148
    Secondary return 130
    zones calling 3 & 6
    Outside temp +16
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    > @ntonkin said:
    > Where are you located? If one of us is nearby, we could probably get this thing nailed down.
    >
    > I'm in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Watersmeet township.

That leaves me out unfortunately, I was hoping you were local to my area, I'd really like to have a crack at this one.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    I ordered a Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Laser temperature gun last night - should be here Saturday.
    Canucker
  • Gordy
    Options
    The system sensor is reading 18 degrees less than the secondary out well thermometer......
  • ntonkin
    Options
    firing% 100
    boiler in 165
    boiler out185
    system 164
    delta T 20
    flue temp 195
    Secondary out 150
    Secondary return 135
    zones calling 2 & 3
    Outside temp +17
  • Gordy
    Options
    That’s better. Let’s try throttling the boiler side down a bit for the next run. See if we can get the system out temp higher, and boiler in lower. Don’t get crazy. Just make small adjustments, take readings, and see if it has any effect.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    Gordy said:

That’s better. Let’s try throttling the boiler side down a bit for the next run. See if we can get the system out temp higher, and boiler in lower. Don’t get crazy. Just make small adjustments, take readings, and see if it has any effect.

It's doing a lot of "standing by" and "setpoint met" now but the system out is 10 degrees higher than the boiler input now
  • Gordy
    Options
    What are the temps?
  • ntonkin
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Gordy said:

What are the temps?

firing% 100
    boiler in 137
    boiler out160
    system 143
    delta T 24
    flue temp 169
    Secondary out 140
    Secondary return 127
    zones calling 2, 3 & 6
    Outside temp +21

Notice that zone 3 is almost always calling for heat.
  • SuperJ
    Options
    It would be helpful to note the set point (or is it always 165f). What zones have the highest flows and temp deltas? I wonder where all your heat is going with the boiler at 100% with only 3 zones calling.

Make sure readings are taken once things have reached equilibrium.
    Gordy
  • SuperJ
    Options
    Something I missed from you original post. Is the zone 3 thermostat issue. Is it on an outside wall? Is there a hole behind it? If so plug up the hole.

Can you swap thermostats with another zone and see if the problem moves with the stat.
    Intplm.
  • ntonkin
    Options
    SuperJ said:

Something I missed from you original post. Is the zone 3 thermostat issue. Is it on an outside wall? Is there a hole behind it? If so plug up the hole.

Can you swap thermostats with another zone and see if the problem moves with the stat.

No, it's on an interior wall as far as you can get from an outside wall in that zone. I have switched it out with the thermostat in the garage (which works fine out there) and it does the same thing. Just bought a new (program-able) thermostat that I'll install in the morning. I checked the wire hole in the wall and couldn't detect any cool air coming through it but I'll plug it anyway.