Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

parrell and counter flow mains

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,127
Ran into a few rad runs which mis piped off a 1 1/2 main which is parallel flow . Issue is the take off s have little to no pitch and the run outs are in copper and only 3/4 inch .i was thinking of re run a small portion of the main counter flow so to stay under the floor joist and then have the rest of the existing g main continue as a parallel main.Being there’s no way to properly maintain the pitch on the rad run outs . The 1 1/2 main original was only picking up 3 rads and now has another 3 that where knuckleheaded in and now the original 3 rads don’t cut the mustard when it comes to hating .my thoughts are to run a 2 counter flow to connect the 3 additional rads and reduce and continue in parallel flow .i have seen it knuckleheaded without a drip and it worked some what .wondering what other thoughts .The knuckleheading was done by the ho bout 15 years ago and a mech friend who is not the steam no has been indirectly deal with but since he didn’t do it wasn’t worried but now a new owner has moved in and he needs a boiler and this issue resolved .on a small note both find no issue w the 3/4 copper run outs bout 25 ft from main and the fact that 3 rads are being feed by a wacky 1 inch main off a 1 1/2 main .and of course they state let’s not get crazy in a recipe thinking there’s a short cut miricale that fixes it .My miricale is to increase the main to 2 inch and pipe it counter flow and drip it . Any thoughts peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    You've been at this racket long enough to have it figured -- seems to me that what you're suggesting will work as well as anything I might dream up. I'd not worry about the copper on a runout like that -- it may creak and groan and make odd expansion noises, but...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    My small bathroom has a small Burnham Radiant 21.5 EDR radiator in it, it's fed by about 24 ft of 1 inch copper. I heats just fine and makes no noise except for a slight ticking expansion noise as it heats up. I've been in the house for 38 years and was piped that way when I bought the house.

Someday that piping might leak but until then I'll just let it be.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Condensate pump?