Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Parking in the boiler room

Options
Mike_Sheppard
Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
edited January 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
How often do you get to park in the boiler room? This was a first for me!
Never stop learning.
Alan (California Radiant) ForbesratioErin Holohan HaskellRich_49BenK

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    probably nice and warm in there
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • VAsparky
    VAsparky Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Now that's impressive!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Nice Cleaver Brooks ya got there!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    > @Solid_Fuel_Man said:
    > Nice Cleaver Brooks ya got there!

They are pretty nice. We installed the Fireye Nexus controls on all six of them. Great control system. The three on the left are hot water boilers, the small one at the far end on the right is a hot water boiler, and the other two on the right are high pressure steam.
    Never stop learning.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    What kind of combustion numbers do you get out of those monsters?
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    Pretty standard numbers. 3-4% O2 in high, 4-5 at mid, and 6-7 at low. Those are standard 4:1 turndown CB numbers. A 10:1 turndown CB has to run leaner in low fire, 9.5-11% because there is much less air, therefore less turbulance and mixing. The real savings comes from the close control of the servo motors and O2 trim. There is an O2 sensor in the exhaust than monitors O2 and can make adjustments itself while running. That way you can bring the O2 down to 3% in high fire without risking it going too rich if the room conditions change.

A Limpsfield burner with Autoflame controls will run down to 2% O2 throughout the firing range.
    Never stop learning.
    Solid_Fuel_Manratio
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    The closed loop control with oxygen sensors is very cool. I'm glad boilers have finally caught up with cars 40 years ago.

When bosch invented the O2 sensor in 1976, auto-tuning fuel systems became reality.

I've played around with lambda (oxygen) sensors on gasification wood boilers for a few years now.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    I think it’s a great feature. Some of the high efficiency condensing boilers in the commercial world are starting to come with O2 trim built in as well.

You still have to tune the boiler, but it allows the boiler to account for changing atmosphere conditions. It will shut the boiler down if the deviation gets too far from the O2 set point.
    Never stop learning.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I park in my boiler room every night except once in a while in summer. Of course I have only one boiler with only 80,000 BTU/hour maximum input. And the boiler is actually in my attached garage.

It was about 15F warmer in my garage than outside. I would not think my boiler leaked so much heat into my garage. The only other sources of heat are the fairly long PVC exhaust pipe that goes across the ceiling of my garage (that never gets hot, though it sometimes gets comfortably warm), and the leakage through the wall into my house that has insulation in it. It is a mod-con and was supplying about 98F water to the slab at grade radiant heat.