Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

W.M. Sharf Pat. Jan.11.1910 Coal Ash Carousel Pit for Boiler Operations

Steve_118
Steve_118 Member Posts: 3
Perhaps some of you have seen a carousel coal ash collection system for a boiler installation before. I had not. This 12 removable bin device is still in place in Yankton SD, old riverboat town that was the capital of Dakota Territory. Of course those boats were no doubt done when this was installed. The perimeter housing is largely intact. The central post axle and hub bearing at the base seem ok, the assembly would probably rotate freely if some of the bins with deteriorated bottoms were removed. I can only imagine learning the time between rotation intervals based on use, weather, etc. 180 degree rotation for balance.... would you have waited for all 12 bins to be full before hauling them up and out of the basement? What kind of basin cleaning maintenance would be required? The ArcoWand central vacuum cleaning system with electric motor rotary screw pump is within 6 feet of the carousel. Every turn in the vacuum piping is accomplished with a 1 1/2" drainage pattern cast iron wye and 45, steel pipe of course. Thing actually runs via open blade throw switch! High tech of day? I truly would like to have experienced for a short while what it was like to heat this home and manage the operation of whatever hot water boiler it then had. Short while. No doubt this post belongs in a better place on this site, my apologies to anyone it may bother.
Voyager

Comments

• ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    so thats what the inards look like.
    this is one i found a month or two ago

• Steve_118
    Steve_118 Member Posts: 3
    So you could apparently choose how many bins were in the carousel, makes you wonder how few or many.
  • MommaZ
    MommaZ Member Posts: 1
    I am quite sure this is what is in the basement of our house. We have been wondering for years. It has six segments. I got to this page by entering the patent date but I can find no other information.
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    The cleverness of our ancestors continually amazes me.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    So I'm curious. Where would the boiler or furnace be located in relation to the ash pit? Nearby no doubt? Not on.top though I guess. Would you sweep or push the ash into the pit?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    So this is just for ash storage? Once all the bins are full, you would have to either remove them and dump, or shovel them out?

I know from those who burn coal that the volume of ash is huge!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I guess it turned a daily or weekly routine into a weekly or monthly routine.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Maybe your coal service would come and empty them, and they and you would rather they come less often.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Not sure the size and weight of the bins when full of ash but they look awfully heavy and awkward for one or two people to lift up out from under the basement floor. Am thinking there has to be another piece of equipment that went along with this system that would lift those bins out of the carousel. I am I correct someone would shovel the ash in the bins or was there some type of mechanical feeder?
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Back in the late 70's while in college (Philadelphia main line) I was a "house sitter" . I had a couple of them -- biggest was one owned by the granddaughter of old coal/oil money. The original steam plant had a floor bin contraptions to clean out the boilers. The space for the coal was huge -- big screw contraption to feed the beast ... full time staff that lived in the building. All natural gas by the time I came around. The dust must have been everywhere --- with 60 acres they had the luxury of space and it's own driveway. The ash eventually went to a lower level.

I wonder if the bin was to insure the ash was no longer hot and not a fire hazard? Since it had many spaces -- it would take time before one space made it around and dumped it to the next level for removal.

Oil must have taken over after WW1 -- Another was one of the first developments in Gladwyne PA (3 houses) .... about 10 acres each .. the one I watched had 35 odd rooms. Huge oil boilers still in the boiler rooms. Again -- replaced with natural gas.