Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat in a leaky stairwell.

itzik
itzik Member Posts: 40
steam heat, Oil, 4 family 2 story in Brooklyn. The thermostat is located in the hallway and I feel like it can not get satisfied, defiantly in the last two freezing days. Which mean I set it up for 68degrees during the day and the heat is on almost all the time. I am looking for a thermostat that I can control from the same location but I will have a sensor in one of the apartments. Like that i can make the thermostat operate by the temperature in the apartment and not in the leaky hallway. Any suggestions? will prefer NOT connected to the internet as I dont live there. Thanks

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    Honeywell TH8000 series (8110 single stage, 8220/8320 multi stage) will take 1-4 wireless remote indoor sensors & average them. Remote access via phone/web app is possible but not required.

How warm was it in the apartments? It may be, of course, that in this kind of weather the system just can't keep up, especially if any setbacks are used.

itzik
  • itzik
    itzik Member Posts: 40
    @ratio just got the vision pro 8000 and a wireless sensor but somehow i cant connect them.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    In old buildings, with thick masonry walls, the signal can get so weakened, that it doesn’t get through.
    Try connecting the remote sensors near the base station, and then move them to their desired locations, and you will see if you have a connection or not. Luckily, wired sensors can be used, although maybe not averaging.—NBC
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    What @nicholas bonham-carter said. IIRC during the initial association, the xmit strength is intentionally reduced to insure that the remote is well within operating distance. There's a chance you're right at the edge & it'll still work fine.

And wired remotes can be averaged, although it's kind of tricky because it's done electrically by wiring the sensors (=variable resistors) in series & parallel to balance them. Here is a pdf that describes how to wire the sensors—Honeywell has both 10k & 20k wired sensors available, & you can of course fab a 20k sensor yourself if necessary.