Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to Steam - Low Water Cutoff, Red Light came on, Buzzing

Options
Hello, I'm new to Steam heating, and I have a one pipe system. The system has run fine all winter, and I've been trying to have a Steam pro come out and give the system a check-up, without luck.

Now my Low Water Cutoff seems to be shutting the system off. A red light comes on and it is buzzing. The gauge glass shows water half-way. It seems I may need to add water, or have the Low Water Cutoff unit inspected. Can anyone on here help me troubleshoot this, maybe add water? The gauge glass used to show water all the way at the top.. it was literally completely full, but it has dropped since the system started being used more heavily.

Thanks - total steam newbie here. I've read Dan Holohan's book, so I'm trying to learn! THANKS

Comments

• Homeowner2468
    Homeowner2468 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I believe it is a probe-type cutoff (see attached.)
  • Homeowner2468
    Homeowner2468 Member Posts: 3
    Options

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Can you give us another photo, showing the low water cut off and the gauge glass, at least?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The buzzing could be the auto fill valve opening but perhaps the water valve to it is shut off.
    Include pictures of the entire boiler floor to ceiling showing all piping please.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    In any case, the sight glass should never be completely full. Somewhere between half to 2/3's full.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Does the water level in the sight glass ever move? First make sure both sight glass valves are open fully. If the water level does not change the lower sight glass port into the boiler may be clogged.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have the same LWCO. When it shuts off and starts buzzing, it's supposed to refill the tank with water. Then it'll start again in 1 minute. Is it possible the valve is closed ?

You said you're losing water after using it heavily. That's not normal. You have a leak, crack or bad piping. How old is the boiler?

To check if you have a crack in the boiler, get the boiler boiling and go outside to see if you have a lot of white smoke. If you do, it's cracked.

Leak - Turn off your boiler and fill your boiler to the max and leave it there for an 30-60 mins. Check back to see if there is water on the ground. After finishing the test, lower the water to 3/4 and turn it on.
    Do you have any returns going underground? It could be leaking down there.

Piping - We'll need pictures but if the water returns when the system is cooling down, your piping is bad.