Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 pipe high pressure cycles

Options
Kjmass1
Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
Just wanted to run these cycle times by some of you to see if they sound about right for these crazy temps we've been having in Boston. Design day is 9F and we've been at 0 or below for a couple days + wind. My 199k/153k old Penco is pretty oversized, my EDR is about 325. Ecobee data has my run times around 18-21 minutes, every 25 minutes or so. I'm getting crazy rattling in some of my Hoffman 40s towards the ends of the cycles, mostly overnight. Gortons seem to do better so maybe I should switch them out with 6 or Cs? Boiler never trips at .5PSI, highest I've seen is maybe 6oz on the gauge. I have 2x Gorton #2s on the 40' 2" main, and 2x Gorton #1s on the 20' 2" main. Mains are insulated except corners.

"Normal" winter temps system is very quiet and even heat. Should I just leave it alone and chalk it up to the crazy temps? Or think about a Vaporstat to cut it off at 5oz?

Kevin

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    Sounds like you're OK -- the temps have been a little low lately...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    So I swapped out the Hoffmans with some Gortons- they at least don't rattle like crazy but still spit water out overnight in 0F temps and whistle pretty good, but better for sleeping. I'm assuming it's because it is so over-sized for my EDR?

Anything I can do about it?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Make sure your Pressuretrol is actually seeing the system Pressure. A clogged pigtail can certainly fool the Pressuretrol. Make sure to clean it out and see if it still runs the same way. At that temp and depending on how over sized your boiler is, I would expect to see a bit of short cycling but maybe your envelope is nice and tight and your heat loss is low??
  • Kjmass1
    Options
    System was tuned up in October but I'll double check the pigtail. Will the pressretrol make a click sound or anything? I noticed the other day it was touching .6 PSI on my 1-5 gauge but it doesn't sound like the gauge or the pressuretrol are super accurate.

The house envelope has been upgraded to blown in for the walls, open cell in rafters but large uninsulated basement that is 1/2 above grade.

I was impressed at -1F it was still only running once every 60-70 minutes, with longer, noisier cycles.

I pulled the last 15 days worth of ecobee data...80hr runtime @ 153k output so about 33,500 BTUs/hour in to the envelope. At 25F outside temp average and 47 degree hours (72-25=47 degree hours), that's 715 BTU/degree hour for 1900sf.

At 0F that would be 72*715 BTUs = 52,000BTU/hour. Design day in Boston is around 9 though.

Regardless, I have about 78K in radiation. Radiation is probably 2x and boiler close to 3x?
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    Options
    During tuneups, I don't think they check pigtails. I recall they increased the PSI to 3. I lowered it afterwards.

I have hoffman 40s around the house and it didn't get noisy for me on Long Island this week.