Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam leak from valve bonnet

Options
Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
One pipe rad valve has slight leak. Is replacement only remedy?

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Need to see a picture of valve. As long as nothing is cracked or broken I advocate for repair rather than replacement. I know there are varying opinions on that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

Need to see a picture of valve. As long as nothing is cracked or broken I advocate for repair rather than replacement. I know there are varying opinions on that.

Totally agree. Please post a picture of the valve and, if possible, indicate exactly where the leak originates. That sort of leak is almost always repairable, but the repair is different for different places or different valves.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fizz
    Options
    Here's pic, hope it helps. Steam comes from left side of valve bonnet.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Also check your pressure to make sure it has not crept up because of a plugged pigtail.
    Old valves can be repacked with graphite or Teflon string, I think there is a video here of that simple procedure.
    Changing the valve involves removing and replacing the valve spud from the radiator, which can be very difficult. A new valve can be of a slightly different size, and may be of lower quality than the original.—NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    You're in luck. That's an easy problem to fix. As @nicholas bonham-carter said, there are videos on how to go about repacking such a valve. Matter of turning the boiler off, unscrewing that bonnet nut (which you have the Teflon tape on) replacing the packing around the valve stem, and screwing the whole thing back together.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

You're in luck. That's an easy problem to fix. As @nicholas bonham-carter said, there are videos on how to go about repacking such a valve. Matter of turning the boiler off, unscrewing that bonnet nut (which you have the Teflon tape on) replacing the packing around the valve stem, and screwing the whole thing back together.

Also do not put teflon tape back where it is now, those threads should have nothing applied to them. The packing does all the sealing.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fizz
    Options
    The leak is at bonnet and housing, not the stem. Leak seems to occur towards end of cycle, so it may have to do rise in pressure. I replaced Gorton 5 vent with MOM4, hoping to slow-down steam to rad somewhat.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    That bonnet assembly should also be removable. You may have to encourage it... use a good big crescent wrench on the square flats, and you may want to put a backup wrench on the hex at the bottom. If you can get it apart, clean the faces well; it should seal without any sealant, but a THIN smear of red RTV will get it sealed. THIN! You don't want it gooping out, particularly inside.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am almost certain the bonnet leaks due to steam pressure. What is the Pressuretrol set at and has the pigtail been cleaned lately?
    Does it actually leak steam or just weeps a little water?
  • Fizz
    Options
    Pressuretrol set at cut-in 0.5, and out 1.0. New pigtail installed 7/2017.
    Yes, steam no water.
  • Fizz
    Options
    Jaimie, would tightening it help, or just remove, clean and replace?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Try tightening it -- but if you're going to put a wrench on it, you might just as well do the whole thing... But give it a twist first. If that works, be happy!
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Fizz
    Options
    Thanks Jaimie and Fred.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Fizz said:

Pressuretrol set at cut-in 0.5, and out 1.0. New pigtail installed 7/2017.
    Yes, steam no water.

Check that Pigtail ....
  • Fizz
    Options
    Ok, thanks Fred!